Searching or Bearcat example for Book 2

Help Support Ruger Forum:

chet15

Hawkeye
Going through the Bearcat chapter for the book I'm working on right now, it has occurred to me that I don't have an example of small numbered Bearcat shipped originally with an aluminum ejector housing. To date, I have had three of these reported (although their whereabouts are unknown) in serial numbers 33049, 33545 and 35036. I suspect that several folks on RF may have this variation and not even know it. The variation will appear in the serial range of 32xxx to 35314. Manufacture or shipping dates for this variation will be August 1963 or earlier, the month that the small #'s were changed to the larger size.
On the Single-Six, the change from a steel housing to an aluminum housing occurred in February 1963.
Be sure to let me know if somebody has an example of this variation Bearcat (small numbers and aluminum housing).
Thanks!
Chet15

flatgate

Hawkeye
s/n 31397, Oct. of '63 with a Steel Housing is as close as I can come.....
Angled firing pin bushing pin, as well.
So, parts bin or kitchen table variation?

flatgate

chet15

Hawkeye
The one I'm looking for wouldn't be a parts bin variation, but it could be a screwdriver variation. That's the problem I'm having....the housing was changed to aluminum on the Single-Six in February 1963 (and there are a lot of Single-Sixes out there known with sm #'s and aluminum housing...the Type 2 and Type 3 Transition variations), but the smaller aluminum Bearcat housing begins showing up on the Bearcat in August 1963.
Anyway, I've had three of what I'm looking for in my notes for over two decades. Maybe they were changed from steel to aluminum at sometime in their history, and maybe they weren't.
Chet15