Search for naked hiker in WA....

Help Support Ruger Forum:

John E Davies

Single-Sixer
A 19 year old girl left her campsite in the evening, naked except for a fanny pack and a knife, on a "spiritual quest". She has been missing for a week.

http://www.nwcn.com/home/211709801.html

The thing that boggles my mind is that the story doesn't even hint that she is an absolute moron..... If she survives, her parents need to give her a good long talk about the threats in life. Oh wait, they raised her this way, so maybe somebody else should give the talk.

My bet is that she was either eaten by a bear, or she is now locked up in a hidden bunker and destined to be some smelly guy's love slave until she dies...... I think she deserves consideration for a Darwin Award.

BTW, I STRONGLY suspect that she lived in nearby Portland, OR. KGW News is a Portland station. LOL......

John Davies
Spokane WA

I guess you haven't seen the commercials for the show "Naked and Afraid". The girl is a Marine. They called off the search Tuesday night for "lack of resources". Wow, I'd think a lot of red blooded American boys would be stepping up to the plate to look for her. It is all doable. Me I would have gone with some clothes. After all we are all nekked underneath our clothes. I hope it turns out well for her.
gramps

98Redline

Blackhawk
While tragic that this girl may have lost her life, it very well be Darwin in action.

ElToro

Single-Sixer
i'd bet my next house payment that some strong mind altering drugs involved here.

poor kid. the outcome is probly not good if and when she is found.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
...and anyone that goes for a hike in the woods (cloths or no cloths) is Darwin material? Granted most of us would have probably been more prepped but I have seen a lot stranger things, like base jumping and extreme rock climbing. :shock:

stevemb

Hunter
Hmmnnn. Another post flies off into no where. This site has issues. Hope she had a space blanket and some space panties in that fanny pack. She made a choice to walk away from support with minimal hardware. She is old enough to vote, breed, go to war,and text message at the speed of sound. I've climbed, and winter mountaineered. You train and plan to overcome the risks. Yeah, should be no shortage of rescue personnel. I do hope for the best. stevemb

graygun

Hunter
Jimbo357mag said:
...and anyone that goes for a hike in the woods (cloths or no cloths) is Darwin material? Granted most of us would have probably been more prepped but I have seen a lot stranger things, like base jumping and extreme rock climbing. :shock:

Uh,yes...rock climbers and base jumpers are well prepared and outfitted front what I've seen. Some folks,especially that young,just can't or won't believe anything really bad will happen to them.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Ummm... barefoot, walking in the forest. What's that, 2-5 miles max in a steady straight line walk max? 75 searchers cannot find her?
I refuse to ridicule her for whatever beliefs she might have had/has. Sad.
But the west coast never ceases to amaze me.

John E Davies

Single-Sixer
Just in case somebody doesn't understand the Darwin Award - it is given to anyone who removes his genes from the gene pool from a stupid or foolish action. The rules require:

1: Nominee must be dead or rendered sterile.
2: The foolishness must be unique and sensational.
3: Nominee must be the cause of his own demise.
4: Nominee must be capable of sound judgement.
5: The event must be verified.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darwin_Awards

In this case of the naked lassie striding alone and unequipped into the woods on a quest ...... all we are waiting on is number 1....

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

It was mentioned this woman's a Marine... I dunno.

A friend years ago was active w/ RMRU, Riverside Mountain Rescue Unit, which did a lot of work on Mt. San Jacinto, about a half hour from me. San Jac's not the tallest mountain in CA, but reputedly has the highest vertical rise from base to peak, and much of the north side is incredibly rough.

He said they rescued an inordinate number of Marines (the 29 Palms base isn't far away) on that side. Almost always WAY under prepared equipment/supply wise: he suggested they mistook their training against human adversaries for being adequate against Ma Nature, which it simply wasn't in this situation. I hope some kind of similar "gung ho" spirit's not involved in this case and they find her alive, well and perhaps a bit wiser for the experience.

BTW, some reports have her as a Vancouver, WA resident...

Rick C

JumpmasterC

Single-Sixer
Jimbo357mag said:
Granted most of us would have probably been more prepped but I have seen a lot stranger things, like base jumping and extreme rock climbing. :shock:

Sorry...in NO WAY is either base jumping or extreme rock climbing more strange than taking of in the woods on a spiritual quest buck-nekkad! :roll:

EVILDOCTOR235

Single-Sixer
Something I have not read here or on other forums is maybe she planned to disappear with someone to help her with a set of wheels and a escape plan. She may have some problems in her life she can't deal with in another way. I hope she is ok, but if found ok she needs to accountable for the costs of the search for her. Just saying.

EvilDr235

Latest posts