Screw drivers & screw Drivers

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
It's common knowledge, or should be, that proper fitting screwdrivers are a must for working on your guns. And proper fitting bits are available from Brownell's, along with their Mag-Tip handles. These become a love/hate situation. The screw driver handles hold the bits by virtue of a built in magnet. And there's the rub: Put down the screwdriver for a second, and this happens:
Various screws or small parts cling to the bit:

I have these screwdrivers from Home Depot, under the Husky brand, that have bits held in place by a ball detent. Hmmm, I thought. No dangling small parts. But Brownell's bits don't have that ball detent. Solved that by drilling and tapping the end of the shank for a 6-32 x 1/8" socket head set screw. Insert bit and tighten down the screw, and I've got a proper fitting bit that won't pick up small parts. I made up several so I don't have to constantly swap bits:

Now, no frustration when doing minor repairs or work.

Bob Wrght

Coop

Blackhawk
AIR, the Brownell screw tips for slotted screws are all hollow ground to facilitate minimizing slot damage to firearm screws. Are those other tips hollow ground?

Oh I see, never mind :)

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Incidentally, the Chapman bits do have a ball detent. So these handles can be used with either the detent bits or magnetic bits.

And should you want to limit the depth the bit goes into the shank, just cut a 1/4" hex key to correct length. Not found this necessary, so far.

And, drill and tap so the set screw tightens down on a flat of the hex shank.

Bob Wright

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
You are a very patient man Mr Wright but I always thought a little magnetism never hurt anyone. :D

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Hmmm. I have a DAC set with the magnet, but it won't pick up small screws with a bit installed. The difference is how the bit holder is designed. A properly designed driver will contain the magnetic field within itself when a bit is in place.

WIL TERRY

Buckeye
BROWNELLS has a non-magnetic turnscrew for usage with ALL of the Magna-tip bits, Don Roberto. Mine works just fine....but I still prefer the magnetic handle as It does EXACTLY that which you do not care for.
And so it goes....

pisgah

Buckeye
Bob, I don't care what everybody says -- you're smarter than you look! :wink: :)

737tdi

Hunter
Bob and all: I thought I would post up a little Klein screwdriver that is the handiest little guy you can keep in a tool box. It is a small flip-flop with 2 straight slot and 2 slotted bits, plus the bit shank sizes are 1/4" (normal) but the other is 5/16". Granted not great for all gunsmith work but a great tool just to keep around. I keep one in my pocket at work due to the majority of small nuts on aircraft are 1/4 or 5/16. FYI, I cut off the rubber so it would work better for one handed palm work.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-Tools-Stubby-Multi-Bit-Screwdriver-Nut-Driver-32561/202970522

Karl

graygun

Hunter
Thanks for the posts and references. Having/using the proper tool for the job is so important as well as proper application of torque. I like the Klein driver and have some of their cutters. I don't make things like some of you guys but do a fair amount of maintenance and repair.

737tdi

Hunter
Joe S. said:
Good idea. I hate magnetic drivers.

Well, both types have their applications. I have both. When replacing an aircraft windshield and you drop the little screw that attaches the heater control wiring to the window you are thankful for a magnetic screwdriver or a magnet to retrieve said screw, you just can't leave that little screw floating around all of the instruments, kinda of a hazard. :)

Karl

Latest posts