Scratches on Blackhawk grip frame

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Have gun-will travel

Single-Sixer
What have you done to touch up the scratches. I tried aluma black without success. So I took the frame apart and stripped the black off and polished it
IMG_20180420_131633980.jpg

G2

Hunter
That's one way.
How far to go, most likely depends on your budget $$.
Here are 2- XR3 grip frames that were (IMO) toast.
The round butted frame came on a gun I bought for a project, it had been RB by the PO, was rough and had various dings, dents, and had been stripped & bead blasted. I straighten everything out, and fit & finished the grips.
Second frame same thing.
Good time to fit grips to the grip frame and then both sent off to Cerakote. ($75ea) One might think that's a lot, but the Cerakote will hold up like no other.
These pictures are after the massage, 😉 ,,, and readied for the Cerakote.
52372057580_186654226f_c.jpg

52372057670_0bff1d457b_c.jpg

52370694712_a94575cdff_c.jpg

Last edited:

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
I have so many stripped, polished, scotch-brighted. reshaped grip frames making two toned guns that now the stock blackened grip frame looks odd to me.
Go figure.

G2

Hunter
"Working guns are supposed to have scratches, tells that they are being used."

I agree whole heartedly,,, My favorites are well used trail beaters.
Its kinda like the RatRod of guns, clean them up and mechanicaly make them 100%, then just a tad of a little bling.

When I take newbies shooting, they always ask questions about the appearance,,,, before we're done they are offering me big money for the trail beaters,,, that shoot.😳

This is how I aquired it for $200.
52191328419_7912ea3c47_c.jpg

Cleaned up, used a Stainless Old Army frame that was challenged, picked up the Eagle grips off EB cheeeep.
52191559300_96d0519b37_c.jpg

The OM 44 flattop on top mostly just sees 44 specials but it is slick, smooth & shoots.
52162984363_05ea6e92b8_c.jpg

Last edited:
I have never figured out how you are suppose to use a firearm and never get a scratch on it???:unsure:

Some manufacturers seem to WANT you to scratch the gun. Beretta has what they call their "Bruniton" finish, which I've read is a variation of the "paint-over-park" finish commonly used on military firearms. Unfortunately, a lot of folks claim 'it scratches if you look at it wrong'...
:)

Rclark

Hunter
I don't go out of my way to 'scratch' my revolvers. I try to take care of them, but things happen ... when you shoot them, holster them, carry them, they are going to show honest wear and a few scratches along the way. Of course if you keep them in the safe, no wear, no scratches... But what fun is that?

eveled

Hawkeye
I have more important things to worry about than scratches. I take care of my tools, but use them for what they are intended for. knives and guns are tools to me.

My Rugers are definitely not my most expensive tools.

I like the two tone look just fine. The ceracote came out nice also.

I have 20+ scars on my hands from a lifetime of using tools and living life. Seems only right tools would get scars too.

GasGuzzler

Hunter
That's kinda funny because I have about $40K in tools I use every day and they're not beat up either for the most part. I guess the chisels and punches are.