Scout rifle accuracy

Help Support Ruger Forum:

tascofeldman

Bearcat
I've a new scout rifle in 308. I currently have a forward mounted fixed power scope. At 150 yds the pattern opens up. I'm staying inside 8". Is that to be expected from a short rifle or should I put a conventional scope on it. I really like the looks and feel of the scout scope but I'm interested in accuracy.

Chief 101

Hunter
try it with a traditional scope setup...will eliminate some of the parallax...a quality scope and ammo will help determine the potential of the rifle...once you know the potential you will have confidence and accuracy will improve with your forward mounted scope...my experience only

PriseDeFer

Single-Sixer
Troubleshoot the rig you have and like first. Grab the scope and try to wiggle it, check the mounting screws and the rings, make sure everything is snug. Make sure the action screws are torqued right. Remove the scope and shoot with the iron sights.
Then look at you. How are you shooting this thing? Off a bench?

keithallenlaw

Bearcat
Greetings. You really need to catch up with the times. :wink: That short barrel claim is just not true.
It's been proven over and over again that longer barrels could be less accurate in some cases because
of the vibration from being so long. Notice my statement said could. I find a several of my 16" barrel
rifles to be very accurate and more so than some of my 20" rifles. I to have the Scout in the 16" version
and have it pretty dialed in with 168HPBT. Millage may very. Be safe and have fun. -keith

tascofeldman said:
I've a new scout rifle in 308. I currently have a forward mounted fixed power scope. At 150 yds the pattern opens up. I'm staying inside 8". Is that to be expected from a short rifle or should I put a conventional scope on it. I really like the looks and feel of the scout scope but I'm interested in accuracy.

Pauerpilot

Single-Sixer
I reload for my GSR. With 150gr Hornady Interlocks I am getting a shade over MOA. I put a traditional mounted scope. I mounted a 1.5-4 Vortex. I find this to be a great combo. I am still shooting a 36x36 inch plate out to 500 meters. It is NOT a precision bolt gun. I did put a Timney trigger in mine and found that to help. I am happy to the level of accuracy out of my rifle. I would have been happy with 2 MOA at 100 meters.

Chief_10Beers

Blackhawk
tascofeldman said:

What others said, check your Scope Mounts. How are you shooting your Rifle? Off Hand? Sitting? Prone? Bench?

Here is my 200yd report.

Ammo: Winchester 150gr Super X Power Point

Best group was 1.3" in a lead sled, Leatherwood Hi-Lux 2-7X32mm scout scope @ 3X pwr.

1.75" all slinged up, scout scope @ 3X pwr, sitting position.

3" slinged up and Irons, prone position.

Avg for sling and Irons was 3.5-4". I'm keeping my scout scope on, Irons as back up. One more test I have yet to do is testing the 3-9X40mm Nikon Scope.

I have not tried my Hand Loads yet.

I love this Rifle! :mrgreen: ..................

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Pauerpilot said:
I did put a Timney trigger in mine and found that to help. I am happy to the level of accuracy out of my rifle.
A lower cost trigger improvement is the replacement trigger spring from "Earnie the Gunsmith" (http://www.erniethegunsmith.com/). My .223 Rem GSS had a decent trigger pull but too heavy at 4.5 pounds. Earnies's $7.00 spring was a super easy installation and resulted in a very clean 2 pound pull that remains drop and impact safe. Try it first.

I would look at ammunition as well. Surplus 308 / 762 does not group well in mine. I have had great luck with 150 Hornady SST. The scout scopes are great but if you want to shoot tighter groups at longer ranges for hunting, a conventional scope mount is going to produce better results. I have three scouts. One with conventional scope, two with scouts. One of the scouts has a Nikon variable scope. It is a nice set up for longer shots. But, if I were going to take shots at 300 on game, my scout with conventional scope would be with me. If I was coyote hunting and terrain dictated close fast shots. The fixed scout scoped rifle would be with me.

Bill

lawguy18

Bearcat
I'm very happy with my scout's performance. I have forward mounted Burris scope and get consistent 1.5" groups at 100 yards. I am usually a big magnification Trijicon or Leupold scope user and was very happy with the handiness and accuracy of this rifle - not to forget its great look.

Try different ammo. I use Hornady 165 gr. bullets of different types and all my .308 rifles work well with this weight and manufacture. I hand load using a 165 gr. Sierra Game King with 44 gr. of RL 15 and that also works very well.

I got about 1MOA with a Leupold 2.5x Scout scope and my Hornady 150grain FMJBT bullet reloads (41 grains of H335). I'd make sure your scope is snug, and try different ammo. The short barrels are the way to go accuracy-wise in my opinion.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Anyone try lapping the rings? In the last few years I've seen almost every Ruger ring have some misalignment. Lapping revealed a "high side" in most rings. It can only be a few thousandths but under firing the scope shifts/settles/wiggles loose at best.

My Scout rifle shoots better with a proper Leupold IER scope. Mathematically, parallax is actually better (less) as eye relief increases.
I get 2-3" groups with Fusion 150gr but the first hole is right where I expect it to be. That's all I'm after of course, as-said above, it is not meant to be a target rifle. Not even close.

Vulcan Bob

Single-Sixer
For some odd reason mine "with forward mount Burris 2.75X Scout" prefers 165gr bullets over the 150's. It struggled to get one inch at 100 yards "sand bagged" off the bench". Just fer grins I tried Sierra 165gr GameKings, better, played with powders and wound up with Varget. It shoots my normal three shot groups well under an inch at the hundred. Haven't tried it at two hundred yet other than ringing the steel out there.