Scored a rare triple today,,,!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

contender

Ruger Guru
As a critter trapper,, I get a lot of animals in traps. Most of the time,, it's one per trap,, with the occasional double. Well, today I scored a rare triple. One adult and 2 others about 6 months old. All big enough to be on their own. Oh,, I scored their sibling in another trap making it a 4 coon day!

X-5007.jpg

Okay Tyrone, what do you bait those traps with for coons? I have to set a trap for a family living under my grandma's house and I hear everything from chicken parts, cat food to eggs. Any advice would be appreciated.

Redstick

Single-Sixer
That's good that you're catching them several at a time, 'cause that way you know you're not catching the same one over and over again, but it is best to paint their butts with some fluorescent orange spray paint before you let them go, and then you'll recognize them if'fn they show back up! :lol:

oregon73

Blackhawk
Nice catch! I remember years ago my grandpa and I caught one. They can be pretty fiesty! The one we caught took two in the hat and then he wasn't so fiesty anymore.

Rob

contender

Ruger Guru
I don't use peanut butter at all for bait. (I have good reasons,) and I'm not allowed to release them. State laws concerning rabies. I have to dispatch them.
Yep,, them 3 were right fiesty when I picked them up. THe wife of the homeowner asked the question about me not being able to relocate them,, and after I politely explained it,, she commented,, "I understand,, but they are so cute." To which I casually moved my hand just near the cage which prompted a growling snarling attempt at getting my hand. She was a bit surprised.
It ain't disney folks. Rocky raccoon may look cute,, but those critters love to fight & aren't scared to wade into a good fight.
I was pleased to catch a triple,, but by them not taking a couple of days to get caught,, (spreading out my work time,,,) I didn't make as much $$$$$!!!!! BUT,,,,, I'm really glad as I do try & do a job as economically as I can for the homeowner. I had 5 cages set at this home. I figure my multiple catch saved the homeowner somewhere between $100 & $200.

wixedmords

Blackhawk
A couple more and you have a masked basketball team Contender.

Nice capture. Keep up the good work.

Saw one of those bandits near the house just he other knight. I guess it must be that time again.

Alabama, in the bend of the Tennessee River
Tyrone, I once caught three skunks at once in a trap like that. That was a mess...

Our hunting place is overrun with coons. We trap them late winter after hunting season closes and we're trying to feed the deer a bit Jan - March when the green starts coming back. Coons will eat up all the deer feed. People don't hunt coons much anymore and where you used to rarely see one, they are present in nuisance numbers.

contender

Ruger Guru
Actually, I know several coon hunters who'd LOVE to have me give them any coons I catch. Unfortunately I can't. Plenty of coon hunters,,, just not enough huntable land for hunters & dogs around here.

contender

Ruger Guru
I've already sent Robb a detailed message of how to target & catch just his coons. Some of the bait suggestions will work for coon,, but they will also catch non-target species quite well too. That's why I don't use sardines,, peanut butter,, etc. Applesauce & honey cost too much and I need easy quick cheap baits to use. (Plus,, the ants,, squirrels etc love it as well.)
Remember,, I get paid to catch the targeted animals,, not every other critter around,,,!