Scored a nice Smith

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gunman42782

Hunter
Smith and Wesson 686 (no dash) .357 Mag. My meager picture making ability does not do this gun justice, it is pristine. I have wanted one for a long time. Stainless steel, adjustable target style sights, on the L frame. The L frame was created because the K frame guns in .357 would eventually shoot themselves out of time if fed a steady diet of .357. The K frames where meant to be fed .38s and carried with .357s. This gun was made from the ground up to shoot the .357. And shoot them it does! Shot some fine targets with it earlier. Best thing is it lacks the infernal internal lock!

100_2531.jpg

100_2530.jpg

SBH4628

Blackhawk
Nice looking Smith..I have a 586 6" nice shooting guns. Don't have the wubber grips. I prefer the wood :D

Pete

Single-Sixer
I have a no dash 4 inch 686 just like yours.They are great guns and make some of the best stock "plate guns" out there.You will enjoy yours a bunch !

Snake45

Hawkeye
gunman42782":2gl7ul5z said:
The L frame was created because the K frame guns in .357 would eventually shoot themselves out of time if fed a steady diet of .357.
IIRC, the problem was cracking in the forcing cone of the barrel, not going out of time.

seeemmiss

Single-Sixer
I believe the PPC folks had a litle bit to do with the creation of the L frame guns especially the way it stages when shooting double action. I forget the shooter name but he wanted a gun sized between the 27 and 28 N frame and the 19 K frame to shoot PPC courses. The L frame gun gave the folks shooting the distinguished revolver class a heavier gun that was easier to shoot. The guy working with Smith really liked staging the trigger because it produced faster recovery times shot to shot. Of course this all could be made up stuff.

Snake45

Hawkeye
marlboro man":2n2qyiwf said:
i agree they are great guns! have one myself that is a blast to shoot! enjoy!
I have a 2.5" 19, a 4" 19, and two limited-run 3" 66s. Love 'em all, but then I don't feed them a heavy diet of full .357 loads.

Wild Bill '67

Single-Sixer
686 is a great .357 platform. If it wasn't for the autos coming into popularity with police and civilians in the 1980s many LEO departments would have adopted the 686.

bub

Single-Sixer
Very nice gun. I'd love to have a 681, the same as a 686 but with fixed sights. To me, that is simply the epitome of a fighting gun. The 686 isn't far behind the 681.

Since yours is a "no-dash", you need to contact S&W and see if the recall was done on your gun. There is some sort of stamp that they put on the recalled and fixed guns but I can't remember for the life of me what it was. IIRC, with the "no-dash" guns, the cylinder could bind up when fired fast or a lot because the gas ring was on the crane and not on the front of the cylinder as in most other revolvers. This allowed crud to get between the cylinder and crane and bind up the gun. Again, IIRC, the recall involves parts to put the gas ring back on the cylinder. A simple call to S&W will reveal whether the recall was done on your gun or not. Not a big deal if the gun is a collector's piece and you want to leave it original, but if you're planning on shooting it, the recall probably needs done.

Bub

Pete

Single-Sixer
You do not need to call Smith about the modification of your revolver;look for the letter M stamped on the frame with the model number.If there is no M stamped then call Smith to have it properly modified.

rugerlovah

Single-Sixer
cool. mine is a 686-3:

IMG_0820.jpg

dealer thought it was a blued model and priced it accordingly :D . i shoot it with the hogue grips but have the woods that came on it in a box.

it shoots well with full bore loads all the way down to .38's. i split the difference and shoot .357's with 158 g. lswc's and unique powder.

gunman42782

Hunter
bub":2vhq9iqw said:
Very nice gun. I'd love to have a 681, the same as a 686 but with fixed sights. To me, that is simply the epitome of a fighting gun. The 686 isn't far behind the 681.

Since yours is a "no-dash", you need to contact S&W and see if the recall was done on your gun. There is some sort of stamp that they put on the recalled and fixed guns but I can't remember for the life of me what it was. IIRC, with the "no-dash" guns, the cylinder could bind up when fired fast or a lot because the gas ring was on the crane and not on the front of the cylinder as in most other revolvers. This allowed crud to get between the cylinder and crane and bind up the gun. Again, IIRC, the recall involves parts to put the gas ring back on the cylinder. A simple call to S&W will reveal whether the recall was done on your gun or not. Not a big deal if the gun is a collector's piece and you want to leave it original, but if you're planning on shooting it, the recall probably needs done.

Bub

Thanks for the info. The recalled guns have a M stamped on them, and mine does. Thanks again.

gunman42782":piv2zoht said:
Smith and Wesson 686 (no dash) .357 Mag. My meager picture making ability does not do this gun justice, it is pristine. I have wanted one for a long time. Stainless steel, adjustable target style sights, on the L frame. The L frame was created because the K frame guns in .357 would eventually shoot themselves out of time if fed a steady diet of .357. The K frames where meant to be fed .38s and carried with .357s. This gun was made from the ground up to shoot the .357. And shoot them it does! Shot some fine targets with it earlier. Best thing is it lacks the infernal internal lock!

100_2531.jpg

100_2530.jpg

That looks exactly like the one I have over in classifieds. Or at least when it's wearing, IMHO, the better of it's 2 grips. I must admit my picture taking skills aren't the best either. In fact yours seem a whole he'll of alot better. Getting a new digicam soon tho. The old one died so will have to use the iPhone cam to post more for now