Scored a #1 300 Win mag

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Don Lovel

Hunter
Pick it up tomorrow since I got to the Valley Gun in Monte Vista just before closing time, they will put the scope I picked out on it in the morning and run my NICS.
Putting a decent Nikon scope on it, the shop's prices were pretty good. Should be able to get out the door for under $1000 including some ammo and brass I hope.
This was originally a 30-06 that VGS rechambered 300 Win Mag for a VGS customer a few years ago. Pretty wood, Red pad, decent looking rifle, has had a small polished mig weld done on the original chamber marking and restamped for 300. Other than that, pretty clean rifle that has been shot but had a nice bore and VGS has been in business a long time with lots of Elk rifle experience.
Nice addition to my Bull tag draw in October I think.
Another nice thing is I have lots of Hornady SST 165 gr and 168gr match, Nosler 165gr and 180gr Partition bullets in my Garand reloading stash. My favorite sheriff deputy, I just fixed a big BBQ feast for his daughter's graduation party, has a nice 300 mag reloading setup for his sniper rig. I think maybe he is going to end up getting to pay for some of that BBQ in 300 ammo.
I will post pics when I get it back to the house tomorrow.

I actually went in there looking at AR prices and looking to see if they had a new Mini 14 in 300 Blackout, saw this nice #1 in the very back row hidden by lots of more modern black toys. Sometimes, it pays to say, "hey what is that back there, no over behind those AR's, no behind the CETME, no on back three more behind that old Mauser, yeah, that #1 single shot there, let me check that out, and oh cool, what is the story on this one?"

Don Lovel

Hunter
update, when I went to pic it up this morning, the gunsmith said if I wanted to use the Nikon scope I was wanting I would have to spend a bunch more on a set of high Ruger rings, well I have a set of high Ruger rings on my M77MkII Varmint and a 50mm Mildot Sightmark scope, so I could take that scope and rings and put on the #1 if I want to, the mil dot maybe a better scope for 300 mag than the varmint rifle as the dots are bigger than a prairie dog at distance. So I picked up a 3-9 Vortex with the BDC reticle hashmarks. A decent scope for under $200 so I may put it and the short ring set on the varmint gun. That BDC reticle would work good for the 243, so I will probably do that. I got a Pachmayer decelerator pad to make it a little easier on me getting it sighted in, but the gunsmith did quote me a price of $160 to do a brake install on threaded barrel if I want to.
So with the Vortex scope 3-9 scope, Pachmayer pad, 2 boxes of Hornady 150gr ammo to sight it in with, out the door for $1100, I can live with it. When I got it home I pulled off the stock oiled up all the mechanism, everything looks like very few rounds fired, I took a small wood rasp and sandpaper and let out the forearm channel until I could just slide a dollar bill between the tip of the stock and the barrel where it was really tight with a rub mark on the bluing on the barrel. Sometimes doing that is all it takes for a #1 to shine in accuracy.
Years ago I sold my .243 #1A to raise bail for getting one of my daughters out of jail. I was so sad because I had killed 11 nice whitetails with that .243. So now that I finally got another #1 years later, I hope I get to drop a nice bull elk with it.
I just threw it up on the kitchen side counter and snapped a couple of pics, I think when I get the other scope on it I will do a real photo session with it, as it does have pretty wood.

Nomosendero

Single-Sixer
Wow, that is beautiful. I am concerned you might fall on some rocks and scratch it, you better send it to me and I promise to only use it when I hunt the River Bottoms! :mrgreen:

GD1656

Single-Sixer
My son received a #1b 300 Winmag just like yours for his 2nd birthday from my dad.That was 37 years ago--I kept it NIB until he was ready to shoot it [14].He has taken many deer and hogs with it -a real special rifle

gtxmonte

Buckeye
Have you shouldered that rifle and looked through the scope? I know me personally, unless that scope has a ton of eye relief, I couldn't shoot that rifle without having to "crawl" the stock, a LOT

Don Lovel

Hunter
gtxmonte said:
Have you shouldered that rifle and looked through the scope? I know me personally, unless that scope has a ton of eye relief, I couldn't shoot that rifle without having to "crawl" the stock, a LOT

EER ocular on that Vortex, but I put that Vortex on my M77 Target 243, BDC reticle works good with the varmint to deer weight bullets, I have a Sightmark Mildot 50mm AO scope that is going on the 300 and I had to order another ring from Ruger to have it high enough.