Scope Suggestions for No. 1A

Help Support Ruger Forum:

2000Z-71

Bearcat
I'm looking at a new Ruger No. 1A in .30-06. Trying to figure out what to scope it with. The rifle will be a general hunting rifle mostly for mule deer. Since the rifle has open sights, I'll be using Warne quick detatch rings and retain the irons for backup.

With it being a relatively light profile short rifle, I want to keep the scope size reasonable. I'm thinking of a Nikon Monarch in 2.5-10x42. I thought about the Leupold Vari X3 in 2.5-8x, but I'm worried that the shortness of the scope may be a PITA to mount and get the proper eye relief on a No. 1. Thoughts and suggestions welcome.

Thanks in advance.

A

Anonymous

I will begin by admitting my prejudice for smaller sized fixed 2 1/2 x , 4x and 6x scopes. All of my deer hunting rifles wear fixed 4x scopes and I have never felt I had too little magnification. When I use a variable hunting it is usually on it's lowest setting being cranked up only on the target range or when shooting varmints. However since the choices of fixed power scopes is getting slim I would pick a nice 2-7 or maybe 3-9 variable for your rifle. I think that todays trend to buy a lightweight rifle and then mount a gargantuan scope throws the look and feel of the whole package off. But I am feeling like somewhat of a Luddite when it comes to guns these days. So you pays your money and pick what you like.

coop2564

Bearcat
I just put a nikon Omega 3x9 40mm on my k1-B and the eye relief 5" was perfect and its only 11" plus change long.

RJ556

Buckeye
I put a Nikon Omega 1.65x5 on mine. It has 5" of eye relief and I still had to use double offset rings to get correct eye relief.
IMG_0098.jpg
[/img]

Ltdshooter

Single-Sixer
I have a Leupold VX3 1.5x5 on a No. 1S in 475 Linebaugh. Perfect scope for the No.1. Just the right size and great eye relief.

Noah Zark

Bearcat
Lloyd Smale":f14r67br said:
I like the looks of a straight tube scope on a 1a my pick would also be a 1.5x5 or a 1x4 leupold

Me too. And like Itchy I also like fixed powers. That's why I installed a nice vintage Lyman 3X All American with a "picket post" reticle (my favorite) on my new-to-me "Red Pad" 1A in 45-70:

dsc09104R.jpg

Noah

firecaptain

Single-Sixer
I have a Leupold VX III 2.5X8 on my SS 35 Whelen and will put another one on the blue version I just took delivery of.

mrwickwire

Bearcat
I just picked up a Ruger no. 1A in 30-06. I decided to put a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x using double offset rings.

33bcsq8.jpg

dmazur

Bearcat
+1 for the Zeiss Conquest in 3-9x40.

I have this scope on two #1's (.30-06 and .243).

This model has 4" of eye relief and I didn't have to use offset rings.