Scope recommendation request

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I've been using an AO scope for the past twenty-five years, so haven't had to deal with parallax-related issues before. I've watched a lot of YouTube and read social media forum experts talking about it, but just never found much in the way of exactly what distance a given scope is optimized for to minimize the parallax and what the error is for a given distance, and I don't have the specs on the used scope I just bought. As mentioned earlier by a member, he thought the Elite would be set for the higher distance since it's for centerfire, but I wondered if scopes generally made for dangerous game are really set that high or closer to ranges the game are taken.

krw

Blackhawk
Google is your Friend ( and mine too). If a scope is set parallex free at 150yds, the most you can be off at 600yds is approx 3 inches. Which is less than 1/2moa. 99% of people confuse focus and eye relief with parallex and its no use for those people to buy a Corvette of a scope when the chevette model serves their purpose and saves them a lot of money

Thanks, Krw. The parallax I was inquiring about was not the scope axis to bore alignment, but rather the type that is remedied by focusing and apparent crosshair movement w.r.t eye movement. So having a AO or SF option is expected to minimize that type of parallax.

I stumbled upon a nice Chuck Hawks online resource of published data as well as specs for the Elite 3200 (the model that replaced the B&L Elite 3000) that still didn't give that spec. However, as suggested earlier and is consistent with the CHawks resource, the 2-7 is most likely set at 100-150yds. The rest is academic.

Thanks to everyone here for suggesting the Leupold, Vortex, and Trijicon. This will be my first low-power scope and first one without an AO, so it was nice to get your thoughts and recommendations.

A proper First Focal Plane scope with ranging Parallax adjustment is well into 4 figures. The knob on my EBR is within a few yards out to 1,200 yds checked with laser rangefinder and GPS.

Attachments

• Rem MG.jpg
    Rem MG.jpg
    629.4 KB · Views: 56

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
Go to YouTube and watch the vortex video with their engineers talking about parallax. You will see what an insignificant issue it really is. Does it exist? Yes. Is it something to worry about? No. There aren't many shooters out there good enough of a shot to make any difference between having an ao scope or not. Also with you wanting a low power scope you don't need an ao scope and prob won't find one either with your other set of requirements.

RC44Mag

Buckeye
Im a fan of Leupold VX3`s also. Very good glass at a more reasonable price than the top tier Leupold scopes. For the price the quality is hard to beat and the warranty as well. I have two, one on my M1A and one on my 7mm REM Mag Browning A-Bolt II. Both with CDS.

Proper scope mounting related to eye position is more important than adjustable parallax. If your eye is aligned with the scope's center, parallax is a non-issue.
Adjustable parallax really comes in at longer ranges. If you have a focus wheel it acts as a rangefinder as well. It also allows you to fine tune your focus in seconds. The hardest part about scope mounting is getting the reticle perfectly plumb. A few thou will be feet off if you use your reticle for dope. Every turn of a screw imparts stress and when there's 8-16 of them it's a real dance.