Scope Ramp for Ruger 44 Carbine

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gunnut

Bearcat
Due to old age and accompanying decline in eyesite, I am entertaining the thought of installing a red dot type sight on my Ruger 44 carbine. I have looked at all the logical sites like midway, weaver, leupold, redfield, DNZ products and cheaper than dirt, but cannot find a one piece base that will fit the carbine. I can find the 2 piece set at weaver but the red dot type sights are not long enough to reach both ramps. I called Ruger hoping the receiver on the 10/22 might have the same radius as the 44 carbine and I would be able to use the readily availble 10/22 ramp, but no such luck. Does anyone have any suggestions or a base they would like to depart with?

pete44ru

Hunter
I have mounted several red dot sights, using a single, short, Weaver-style base. :roll:

Unless the red dot you intend mounting is HUGE, there's usually not enough mass to matter - and since red dots are parallax-free with unlimited eye relief, those issues shouldn't arise, either.

gunnut

Bearcat
Thanks pete44ru and limitby9 for the quick response. I do have the old model 44 carbine, I've had it for over 30 years and got it used then. I traded a boat for it (good trade). It still works fine except for one occasion when it starting having problems auto feeding a round, after a lot of trying to figure out the problem, I finally cleaned the gas port and all is good for another 30 years or so, HA. I'll try the Weaver mount, thanks a lot.

One question, my son has a 44 revolver and the recoil "destroys" red dot and holographic sites, he's on the 3rd try now.
Fortunately the sights have a lifetime waranty, but the last time they asked what he was using it on. Will I have this problem with the 44 carbine?

pete44ru

Hunter
You shouldn't - I never have. but then, I don't shoot anything heavier than 240gr JSP's through mine.

The rifles don't recoil as much, due to having more weight/less torque - and the red dots on them don't generally self-implant in foreheads, either. ;)

gunnut

Bearcat
Thanks again for the helpful information, thats kinda what I thought on the red dot and recoil issue, just wanted to be prepared.

Latest posts