Scope or Red Dot for Ruger PC 9 Carbine?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

RugerForMe

Single-Sixer
I'm running the Primary Arms SLx 5x36mm Gen III Prism Scope with the ACSS Aurora Reticle, I love it. I actually bought it for my AR, but didn't care for on the AR, But Love it on the PC carbine. Has just the right amount of magnification for me

Under 100yds red dot all day. Faster and easier to hit than you can even imagine. A 1-4x wouldn't be bad if you're going for 100+yds
Yep. For PCC use I think the Dot is better for the distances it would be used for. A scope will be much heavier but be sure it goes down to 1X. I have a PCC that uses Glock mags and I think of it as extending my ability to shoot a pistol 75-100 yards at a human size target with a reasonable chance of good hits under stress and carrying additional fpe. My AR has a 1x6 scope because I want to be able to reach out and touch someone at distance of 100+ yards with a lot of fpe. I think of my PCC as a long range more accurate handgun. It's a very long barrel pistol. But I'm carrying the same ammo and mags as my pistol. Dot is my recommendation. I have my PCC zeroed for 25 yards. I can shoot effectively from 0-75 yards. Big drop from 75 yards to 100 yards. At some point you need a rifle not a long range pistol.

Huskerguy72

Single-Sixer
And I'll ask again...

I keep reading folks comments of their PC9. Are there that many still in circulation? They haven't been made since 2006.

Or are you guys really speaking of the PCC?

They are not the same guns, and have different features. And since I own both, I like reading experiences with both.
My apologies, I have the more recent Ruger PC Carbine in 9. At my league shoot, there is a class called Pistol Caliber Carbine or PCC. It can get confusing, count me in on contributing to that confusion.

Seems like some interested here and just to clarify I'm looking at the current Ruger PCC in 9mm. Just learning long guns now with a few 10/22s. The club I go to has some nice shorter 25yrd ranges that will allow both 22lr rifle and pistol caliber rifles , which is one of reasons I was thinking about getting one. The PCC basic model also has the rifle style stock which is another reason.

Seems like some interested here and just to clarify I'm looking at the current Ruger PCC in 9mm. Just learning long guns now with a few 10/22s. The club I go to has some nice shorter 25yrd ranges that will allow both 22lr rifle and pistol caliber rifles , which is one of reasons I was thinking about getting one. The PCC basic model also has the rifle style stock which is another reason.
Again, I have lots of experience with both the PC9/4 and PCC. They are both pretty phenomenal. I have shot both, extensively on the 50 yard range, and there's no doubt they would be effective at much longer ranges. My preference still remains with the PC9/4, if for nothing more than the aperture sight mounted on the receiver, where it belongs.

But now having a red dot on my modern PCC, it's pretty special too.
(y)

BarryinIN

Bearcat
I use a Holosun green dot, 507C-GR. I mounted it on the barrel, with a mount that replaced the rear sight.

After a little more research led by inputs here, going to try a red dot instead of prism. Looking at Romeo 5 that still allows for using the iron sights out of the box, nothing else to buy. Considered getting a riser for the holosun I already have but that is setup for my MK IV and trying the Romeo 5 out on my PCC may lead me back to trying that setup again on the MK IV. Understand there are certainly better red dots on market but read good things on this one so will go with it when I can. Thanks to all again.

The A Team

Bearcat
I haven't found my ideal sight system for my pcc 9, yet. I got a great deal on a Romeo 5 but I can't see the target clearly at the max distance at the indoor range (30 or 50 yards, can't remember which.) I definitely need a magnifier.

I love the iron sights, I just can't see well enough to use them for much distance.

GasGuzzler

Hunter
I would never put a scope on a PCC. I opted for a S2K becuase of the folding feature so an optic was never part of its planned use. It's likely more accurate with irons than some non-folding PCC's with a dot.

I have til now, had little interest in red dot sights. And with the earlier PC9/4, the ghost ring sights worked so well there was no reason for me to consider any other sight options.

The new PCC is different. The barrel mounted aperture is very ineffective for me. I have a couple different low end red dots. Figured I'd try one, just to see. And it does improve things. On the range, as a novelty, it's fine. In the real world I would still remove it.

But for shooters who are comfortable with a red dot, this cheapo works so well, a higher level red dot could surely be the cats meow.

TheDude

Single-Sixer
I put one of these on mine with a green dot, couldn't be happier:

It uses a single tripple A instead of some round disk type battery which i highly dislike. It supposedly lasts 50k hours. You can adjust the brightness level.
It turns itself off and wakes up with any movement, so its set and forget plus idiot proof which i really need :D

It comes with a green dot which my eyes prefer.

Good luck!

NetNathan

Single-Sixer
After a little more research led by inputs here, going to try a red dot instead of prism. Looking at Romeo 5 that still allows for using the iron sights out of the box, nothing else to buy. Considered getting a riser for the holosun I already have but that is setup for my MK IV and trying the Romeo 5 out on my PCC may lead me back to trying that setup again on the MK IV. Understand there are certainly better red dots on market but read good things on this one so will go with it when I can. Thanks to all again.
One of the reasons I chose a Prism, is the Reticle is always there, just not illuminated if battery dies. With a red dot, you out of luck.
Also..... you will not be really happy with just a red dot, you also need the outer circle for fast acquisition of short range target.

This is why I come here, so much good input. I've yet to get this out to range and will start with the iron sights when I do. There was also a tip somewhere to check the two small set screws on the rear sight as they may have excessive oil and/or not that tight. I've already done some initial going over to remove excess oil in chamber and elsewhere and clean the barrel just in case, of course I read the tip after I did that.

Got out to the range today with the PCC for first time this morning. Went with 25yards and checked the sights with a rest, just had to adjust once and got on target with some fairly tight groups.
At this point I've decided to stick with the peep sights for a while, first time using this kind of sight and found them working well for me. I'll do a bit more at 25yards and then try 50 to see where I get with that. I know my range has steel at 25yard, not sure about 50 but I can do target at 50. Won't switch to steel until I get a bit more comfy with it but pleased with this purchase.

Most users will never get the biggest benefit that the dot optic provides. That comes if/when shooting in dim light is REQUIRED. Put that dimly lit dot where you need to land the bullets and 'let-er-rip'.