Scope or Red Dot for Ruger PC 9 Carbine?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gbono2

Bearcat
I just bought a Ruger PC 9 Carbine. I don't like the iron sights at all. Also my old eyes could use some help too.

What have y'all found works the best - scope or red dot?

I've always used a scope for my .22's if needed.

Although,, I've been trying out a red dot on one of my pistols. Definitely a learning curve. If it works out, I may try one on a 10/22 for plinking.

Something to consider: I mounted a 4MOA dot optic on my 300AAC PDW destined for use in my work vehicle. Everything seemed fine for initial short range zero. A couple days ago I was doing a zero check and coarse accuracy eval when I realized not only could I not aim at the 2" target sticker @ 100 yards, I could only roughly aim at the 18" cardboard backer due to the light/shadow combination at the time. More thought and testing will be required.

Snake Pleskin

Banned
I have a Holosun on mine. It works fine for what it is, a short range, pistol caliber carbine. I would use this from 75 yds to 10 yds. after all, it is a 9mm pistol round, and using it for extended range shooting is not what it is designed for (IMHO)

RugerForMe

Single-Sixer
I put a Primary Arms SLx 5x36mm Gen III Prism Scope, the one with the ACSS-AURORA Reticle. It's only 5x but so far it has been awesome.

Huskerguy72

Single-Sixer
I love my Ruger Carbine, lots of fun to shoot and accurate. I was actually pretty accurate with the iron sites but had planned optics. I went with the Romeo 5, got it for $99 last Christmas. It works well and a choice of mounts, I chose to set up higher so it will co-witness. I then put a flashlight/strobe with green dot on the front lower rail. At my indoor range, 50 ft I knock the center out using iron, red dot and green dot.

BearBiologist

Buckeye
In light of the current social situations (political, crime, ultra-conservatives, ultra-liberals, fascists, & anti-fascists, etc), I broke down and bought a Rurger AR556 for myself and a PC9 for the wife (BTW: We are both college educated, middle of the road, semi conservative, & middle-class). We are also a couple of cantankerous old farts with no delusions of surviving even a short-term firefight. Just to forestall anyone asking "WHY": My maternal side is Irish. That's enough reason!

That being said, I put a Tru-Glo 1-6x lighted reticle on my AR556 (2 colors) and a lighted dot (2 colors on her PC9. I like both and would be comfortable with either (best of both worlds?) on the PC9. The red dot is slightly faster.\

NetNathan

Single-Sixer
Best solution... Get a red dot (I prefer prism, especially for tired eyes) and add a 3X multiplier for when you need it.
Way better eye relief than a scope, and you just flip over multiplier when you want to push distance.
My suggested pair? Obviously Primary Arms with ACSS etched reticle for 9mm.

Prism scope with ACSS for 9mm
https://www.primaryarms.com/primary...ith-green-illuminated-acss-gemini-9mm-reticle

Multiplier with ACSS Pegasus ranging reticle This reticle may not be absolutely necessary (There is one in the SLx 1X micro prism scope) but it is cool. You can get it cheaper whiteout reticle:
https://www.primaryarms.com/primary-arms-slx-3x-micro-magnifier-w-acss-pegasus-ranging-reticle_2

I changed out the factory sights with fiber optic front and rear. Even my 69-year-old eyes have no problem with them. I also have a light/laser mounted on the bottom of the forearm.

I do have red dots on a couple rifles and handguns and love them.

I can highly recommend the Burris 332 prism 'scope' IF you can get it mounted for proper eye relief. This is/might be a problem with some platforms such as the AR pistol since it's hard to justify an optic with a 3-4" eye relief on a 'handgun'. I've used this optic on an AR carbine and it's certainly a viable alternative although not a 'both eyes open' solution like a plain dot optic.

aaronrb204

Bearcat
I slapped a cheap red dot on mine because I can't justify spending money on a good one. Works well enough. My carbine was also used and the previous owner had removed the iron sights so I had to put something on it.

Reviving this thread as I'm considering getting a Ruger PCC 9.
Looking at red dot or prism 3x and based on what I've read the prism might be a better choice with my astigmatism.
Seems as folks like either choice for these but checking in for any down sides found since this post on prism type for the PCC 9?
I'm looking at the standard model stock, model 19100 I believe.