Scope mounts on the older TOP EJECT Mini 14 models

Help Support Ruger Forum:

tacotime

Single-Sixer
Redfield made a solid one piece scope base for the Mini 14 and it mounts directly on top of the action and I see they can still be bought (used only, I assume). It required drilling and tapping 3 holes in the receiver.

But it seems like the top-ejected case in these earlier Mini models would hit the bottom of the base, and/or the scope itself. And possibly worse, that the case would hit the base /scope while still being pushed by the ejector, maybe then stressing the ejector or the ejector hole in the bolt, or damaging the ejector.

Does anybody know if the cases would hit the base on these, or if they caused some other problem, or maybe they hit the base and didn't cause a problem?

Since no one came into this with facts, I have some experience, but it was from the 1970s. I had a blued mini-14 and purchased a SS model about the 1st year they came out. I had a bridge mount, as I recall it was a 1 piece Weaver mount that was mounted by removing the rear sight. I placed a Redfield 2 3/4 power scope and a Weaver dot scope on them at some point. I did not have ejected brass hit the scope, sight or mount. I sold both rifles after they failed my accuracy tests in a couple years. The blued one was stolen from a friend shortly after he bought it. The SS was recalled, I sold it after it came back to me repaired. My history with them was short lived and it could have been a Redfield mount, but pretty sure it was a Weaver and none of my handloads or factory ammo hit the mounts.

tacotime

Single-Sixer
Thanks for the word. I now know the Redfield was a one piece base that used 3 screw holes that had to be drilled and tapped into the top of the receiver. Dovetail ring hole in front and the double screw rear mount. It is the Redfield JR R14 and as far as I can tell, the ejected cases do not hit the scope, and maybe not even the base itself.