Scope for Ruger Super Redhawk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

G-30

Bearcat
I am looking for a scope for my Super Redhawk in .454 Casull, does anyone have any recommendations for one that will handle the heavy recoil and fit the ruger factory rings.

Thanks

sixshot

Buckeye
G-30, I have a Leupold 4X on my SRH 44 magnum, its been on there for several years, I also have a 1X4 Burris on my SRH 480 & it like wise has been there for a long time. Having said that I think a fixed power, either 2X or 4X is your best bet. Leupold has always given good service.
Have you considered a red dot scope? I just bought a no drill mount from Edge Works & put it on a Ruger 357 maximum along with an Ultra Dot red dot scope & I like it a lot, if you're shooting at normal distances, 50-150 yds you might take a look at them.

Good luck, Dick

Dale53

Blackhawk
I have tried a number of scopes on my S&W Model 29 (8 3/8") and my Ruger Red Hawk (7½") for deer hunting.

Regarding scopes, I have settled on a 2 power (wider field of view and easier pick up under field conditions) Leupold or Burris. My current favorite is a Burris with a large dot. It seems to direct the bullet on a deer where it should go (just a bit of Zen there, but it IS a fact).

On the other hand, there is NOTHING wrong with a Red Dot sight. The Red Dot can be a LOT lighter. I have been using a Red Dot sight for target shooting for a couple of years. For hunting I would prefer a LARGE dot (therefore prefer the four reticule option).

You will need to practice with revolver presentation with either the scope or Red Dot. They are not a problem but they do require you to train with them (lots of trigger and presentation time) for best performance.

I am strongly PRO towards Red Dots and Scopes for hunting.

Dale53

Dale53

Blackhawk
Sixshot;
I would be interested in a NO Drill scope mount for a Ruger Single Action. Can you direct me where to look (Edge Works has NOTHING regarding scope mounts on their web site)?.

Dale53

wwb

Hunter
Like Dale53, I find that a 2X is the way to go if it's to be used for hunting. Punching paper at the range, a 4X or even 6X is great, but that much power turns out to be a hindrance under most hunting conditions.

I shoot a .44 Mag SRH with a 2X Weaver.... bought the Waever because I was short on spare cash at the time, figuring to step up to a Leupold when I got the cash. That was 6 years and several whitetails ago... still shooting the Weaver, and have no plans to change it, as it has turned out to be a good scope.

Pal Val

Buckeye
A +1 to the red dot for hunting. After having a 2X leupold on my .44 mag hunter for three years, I switched to a red dot. It's a lot lighter and quicker to settle on the target than a scope with magnification. It may not be as good as a paper puncher, but certainly will do the job for hunting at handgun ranges.

sixshot

Buckeye
Oops, papa is right, I meant Edge Custom! Give Dan a call, nice guy to deal with & these mounts are well designed. His # is: 315-662-7531

Dick

G-30

Bearcat
Okay, thanks for the replies. What scope rings will work it looks like there are a few but I can't tell if they are for pistol or rifle.

Jeff H

Bearcat
I have been using a Red Dot sight for target shooting for a couple of years.

Howdy Neighbor to the North. My NM Blackhawk with a red dot has been a great target gun. I'm not a hunter so I won't comment on that.

'Tis a big big gun with a 6-1/2" barrel and a scope, barely fits in the safe LOL

onthehunt

Bearcat
I hate myself for saying this but... I bought a cheap($30) BSA scope to see if I would like a scope on my SRH. I've shot about 110 rounds and it hasn't broken yet. I'm very surprised. I'm leaning torwards not liking a scope on a pistol though. You never realize how much you move a handgun around until you look through a scope.

sixshot

Buckeye
Didn't the gun come with scope rings? If not just check with your dealer or call the factory. A lot of people lap the rings in for a perfect fit, you only lap the lower saddle, doesn't take make & its easy to make a lapping rod.

Dick

G-30

Bearcat
sixshot":2u88w8jz said:
Didn't the gun come with scope rings? If not just check with your dealer or call the factory. A lot of people lap the rings in for a perfect fit, you only lap the lower saddle, doesn't take make & its easy to make a lapping rod.

Dick

No I got it used, looked like it had not been fired though :D

Latest posts