Scope for Ruger No 1 (eye relief...what?)

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ruggedruger

Single-Sixer
Hey folks. I'm looking to put a scope on my Ruger No.1. I swear I've asked this already though. My search function isn't working though. I can only see 1 page of my posts on this forum. If I try to move to pg 2, I get a msg saying to try later.

I have about a 200 dollar max at the moment. I'm looking for a 3-9x40. Considering the Redfield Revolution, Nikon Buckmaster, a Vortex scope that was rated best in a comparison of the 3 online, etc.

I see people refer to an issue of "eye relief" when dealing with a Ruger no. 1. What is that all about? Why is this rifle different than others in that regard? Wouldn't a scope that works on an M77 work as well on the No. 1?

I'm dealing with a 1B in .308. I hunt mostly deer. Sometimes in the woods, sometimes across large expanses of open agricultural fields. I doubt that I'd ever shoot at 9x mag, but I'm open to ideas.

I'm a firm believer in not needing a objective diameter greater than 5x the magnification. In other words, 50mm is overkill at even 9x mag, but not by much. 40mm is not quite enough for 9x, but probably sufficient.

I'm open to ideas on scope model, magnification, etc.

Thanks. And sorry if this has been posted before. I almost bought a scope last night, but took a breath, and wanted to ask you guys.

308longdistance

Blackhawk
Usually on a No.1 the rear of the scope (eyepiece) has to end up at or over the tang safety to be comfortable for most shooters. That eliminates a lot of scopes if using Ruger low rings. Ruger medium off-set rings help in moving the scope to the rear. The M77 is much more friendly when mounting most any scope. The 1B in 308 is not a hard kicker, so eye relief isn't that critical. I like 4" of eye relief in a scope.

Burris fullfield 3-9x, not (fullfield II) work pretty good on the #1.

This is an interesting scope.
http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=155249&p=1561799&hilit=Burris#p1561799

txpitdog

Single-Sixer
I've got a 1-B in 300 Win mag, and I do have to creep up on it even with the scope mounted all the way back. I've got a Zeiss on it, but I do have a Redfield Revolution 3-9x40 on another rifle that I have been very impressed with. I've also had a 3-9x40 Buckmaster, and it too was a nice scope. I think you'd be plenty happy with the Redfield, and I'm not sure you'd be able to tell a difference between it and a $300 scope.

ruggedruger

Single-Sixer
Well, today I saw that MidwayUSA had the Buckmaster for 179 (50 bucks off they say from their price, so it was on sale), AND there is currently a 30 dollar rebate on some Nikon scopes, so I netted one with free shipping for 150. BDC reticle. 3-9x40. I guess I didn't wait for much advice here and I do thank you for it. But the deal was too good imho.

dmazur

Bearcat
I had a Leupold VX-II 3-9x40 on a Ruger No. 1 and it didn't have quite enough eye relief to be comfortable without offset rings. I believe Leupold stated 3.5" on this model.

A Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 had an honest 4.0" of eye relief and was long enough between turret and objective bell to provide a good fit.

Silent Sam

Blackhawk
There is a relationship between eye relief (exit pupil), magnification and field of view. For many years there was no such thing as a fixed eye relief variable scope. It varied with magnification on a variable scope along with field of view. There is no free lunch. If you fix the eye relief on a variable scope you are going to pay for it with field of view. It has been well marketed by not mentioning the downside. It is a matter of preference. If you set your eye relief at max magnification you will have a full scope view at any lesser magnification. If that is enough distance so the scope is not whacking you, you have enough. If you can't get it close enough so the image fills the eye box at max magnification you can describe it a few different ways depending on your point of view;). You can say you don't have enough eye relief, or that the mounts are too far away, or the scope tube is too short. Which "problem" do you want to "fix"? That 5x number you refer to is really exit pupil. Most eyes can't use much more than that. The real issue w/ #1s and #3s is the short length of the action moves the scope mounts further away from your head compared to bolt actions. Short tube "compact" scopes usually don't have enough tube length between the bells and the turrets to get the scope back far enough to get a full image in the eye box.

olywa

Bearcat
I currently have a Sightron SII 4x32 on my 1S in 45-70. Works real well with the standard medium rings and gives plenty of eye relief. I was initially using a Burris 4x20 Short Mag in low rings. It worked well too.

ruggedruger,

I see you are working with a 1B in 308 and seek scope options. I am a fan of the Nikon product line and have one mounted on a 1B in 308. I was able to get mine far enough back to provide correct eye relief for me. Here are some pictures of mine with the Nikon Coyote special BDC 3x9x40.

IMG00233-20120530-1600.jpg

IMG00234-20120530-1601.jpg

IMG00229-20120530-1559.jpg

IMG00231-20120530-1600.jpg

IMG00232-20120530-1600.jpg

IMG00233-20120530-1600-1.jpg

langenc

Single-Sixer
Natchez usually hasa bunch of refurbed Nikins. I wouldnt have any trouble with one of those.

Eye relief-not a problem w/ 308 or more. Just make sure the gun is on your shoulder even with a couple jackets on a cold day. Sounds stupid but many shooters dont shoulder a gun-stocks too long.

ruggedruger

Single-Sixer
Continued thanks, everyone. I got the rifle out briefly tonight and took a look at the rings and rail. Pretty slick system it seems to me.

A few questions. What type of driver is required to loosen/tighten the small bolts that hold the top of the rings to the bottom? I assumed they'd be for Allen keys, but they appear like a "Torx" or whatever. I think I have such a bit somewhere, but I'll have to look in the daylight as it's in a box in my shed.

That's a mighty large slot on the screw that clamps the ring to the rail.

Also, do you use any loc-tite-type stuff on any part of the rings?

Torx-15 or T-15 is what you need for securing the scope to the rings. Should come with one but they do get lost. The slot in the screw that secures the rings to the rifle are wide. I use a thick screw driver to get it nice and tight. I use clear nail polish to keep those screws from vibrating loose.

Latest posts