scope for Ruger mini-14 181 series

Help Support Ruger Forum:

plasticdoc2946

Bearcat
Hi,newbie here:can the Mini-14 181 series be fit for a scope?Have tried to get Ruger customer service on phone several times,but they seem to only offer recorded messages.
Also would like some advice on returning peep sight settings to neutral as I managed to turn them so far that I can't get closer than 12 inches to center from 25 yards.
Any advice appreciated.Thanks.

JFB

Hunter
I have a 182 & 184 (not sure if the 181 is the same), But these two have a plate on the left side that can be replaced to allow a base to be attached
https://www.gggaz.com/ruger-mini-14-scope-mount.html

Lngstrt

Single-Sixer
I have a side plate mount on my 181-xxxx

YNvio1R.jpg

JFB

Hunter
the original side plate has to be removed and a plate with the scope mount is used,
the one I have basically is a nut welded to a plate.

Welcome to the Forum, as noted above, your 181 series should have the "side plate" on the left side of the ejection port, slides out when the stock is removed...there were a couple of companies, B-Square, SKS , that made a replacement "plate" included with their mount,base that had a screw-in affair to hold the base in place, with a leveling screw to help adjust it... the earlier #180 had NO plate and you had to custom make a base & drill an tap the receiver...I do NOT suggest you even use the older 180 series as there are NO parts available, NO "support" from the factory, they will NOT work on them, bolt was too weak, lugs broke off, we had several come in the shop, hard to find used parts, and if you sent it in they asked for a some of $$$$ and to update to a newer version..I know happened to me twice with "Made in the 200 th Year of American Liberty " (1976) had to convert them to 22 LONG RIFLE only,,,,,There was a maker of 22 lr conversions some time back, not sure if they are even still around....anyway there are TWO 22 lr "converted Minis out there we got rid of almost 15 years ago, longer maybe.........

trebor44

Blackhawk
Idaho, East of Boisemento, or is it Boisangelos
It is very easy to find the side plate mount for the 181 series of the Mini 14. Gun shows are a good place to start. I have had one for many years and like the fact that it would replace the OEM plate and the scope mount would screw into the plate. It kept zero just fine. Do a search for mini-14 older scope mounts.
e.g. :https://www.brownells.com/optics-mounting/rings-mounts-amp-bases/mount-sets/mini-14-mount-black-w-o-rings-sku122445020-1775-6657.aspx?rrec=true

I have no complaints about my 181, enjoy!

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Scout-type picatinny-spec rail is the solution. http://ultimak.com/m4.htm

Also http://www.amegamounts.com/product_pages/rugerMini14.php

plasticdoc2946

Bearcat
Spoke to Ruger rep on phone today(Finally after 20 minute hold and two previous reps who had someone call me back).He said Iwould have to remove the bolt block and the side mount is rough on scopes.He also decided to send me a new peep sight since I can't return mine to center.
Believe I'll look for a scoped ranch rifle!

DGW1949

Hunter
plasticdoc2946 said:
....Believe I'll look for a scoped ranch rifle!

Me thinks that your on the right track there...
And if you don't mind a suggestion, if it was me I'd hold out for a 582-up series which has the D&T'd holes along the top of the receiver so you can either use the infamous Ruger ring design OR the supplied Weaver-type scope mount rail. Gives ya more scope mounting options, that's what it does. Plus, all of the 581-up serial numbered guns come with a far-superior barrel design to boot.

Given the ridiculous prices I see folks asking for their old 'skinny barrel' Mini's these days, I have to say that this is truly a case of 'it won't cost much more to go first class'. :wink: .

DGW