Scope for a 77/22

Help Support Ruger Forum:

MrShoeBoy

Bearcat
So I just got my Ruger 77/22 VBZ a few weeks ago and am still looking for a scope. The rifle will mostly be used for paper punching and plinking, but small game hunting is also on the agenda. After lots of reading and searching around here and on the net I have narrowed my choices to the Bushnell Elite 4200 4x16x40, Leupold VX-II 4x12x40 AO, and Sightron SII Big Sky3-12x42 AO.

I got to look at the Leupold VX-II and Bushnell Elite 4200 last night at Bass Pro and was kinda disapointed in the Leupold. It did not seem all that clear compared to the 4200 even after adjusting the focus. Is that normal or did I just look at a funky display model? There is not a Sightron dealer in my area so I cant go and pick on up and look through it.

Anybody have the chance to compare the Bushnell to the Sightron? Any thoughts on these two?

Thanks!

AARON

wwb

Hunter
Not sure what type of small game hunting you intend to do, but I'm pretty sure you'll find that a 3X or 4X minimum is way too much magnification and too small a field of view.

Unless you're into SERIOUS paper punching (and if you are, you have the wrong rifle.... you need a Winchester 52 or something similar), you will have no need of anything much over 5X maximum.

For a .22 rimfire variable scope, a 1.5-4.5X or 2-7X is just about ideal.

45flattop

Single-Sixer
I would opt for a different Leupold, either the 2-7x28 RF Special
or the 3-9x33EFR model on a rimfire rifle and none of my Leupold's has
ever seemed dimmer than another brand, especially one that often
costs less, to me they are worth every cent. The 4-12x40AO model
seems a bit overly large on a .22. I edited this to correctly identify
the 3-9x33EFR that I had erroneously called an AO model but it does
have the adjustable objective; I suspect that Leupold calls it Extended
Focus Range to diffferentiate it from the AO models in the other lines
since the EFR and the other RF specials, both fixed and variable are
parallzx adjusted for 75 yards I believe instead of the 100 Yards on
most other Leupold scopes. In addition I believe they also have the
fine Duplex reticle more suited to rimfire usage, less subtension of
the target by the crosshairs.

MrShoeBoy

Bearcat
Gun is fine for paper punching. Just needs a good scope. I figure a 3x would be fine on the rare occasion for small game hunting. Again its mostly for fun at the range and I wouldnt mind having a large objective to better see.
Ruger77222res.jpg

Thanks for the feedback.

AARON

mattsbox99

Hunter
I have the Sightron you mention, but its 3.5-10x50 and I like it a lot. My local dealer was having a closeout on them, and I bought two for $250.

I have mostly (and prefer) Leupolds, including the 4-12 VXII you mention and they are excellent scopes, but a bit pricey. The only Bushnells I've had are the cheaper line and they have been just fine for .22s, the guns I use the hardest.

All of the ones you mention are too much for a .22, a fixed 4x is plenty for small game hunting and paper punching 100 yards and under.

I have a 77/22VBZ .22LR and it is very accurate with the CCI Velocitors and I have shot several Silhouette competitions with it and I do very well.

Trey Whitley

Single-Sixer
The 22 magnum 77/22 I just bought had a Leupold VX-II 4-12x on it, which I think is way, way too big for the rifle. I'm replacing it with a Nikon Prostaff Rimfire 4x, which has a ton of positive reviews on MidwayUSA. You can find them for less than $90 on fleabay.

Latest posts