Scope for 77/44

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jessejmc1979

Bearcat
I finally got my 77/44 on new years day and now am trying to figure out which scope to put on it. I am thinking about the burris timberline 4x 20mm but am not sure. Money is a factor but I have never had a brand new rifle or a good quality scope on any of my rifles. My dad has a cheap bushnell banner on his 77/44 and I think the clarity is horrible, but maybe it's just me. So what are your thoughts? Thanks for any info.

rugerlovah

Single-Sixer
no experience with the burris timberline scopes, but I have seen that one and it looks interesting to me. If it is real short, you might have mounting issues because there isn't much option w/ the ruger rings for mounting position (i have no personal experience with that scope, though).

i have two 77/22's, one of them has a nikon prostaff 4x scope, the other one has a 2-7x leupold rifleman. those scopes are about the same size and both of them are an excellent fit for the gun. If I was going to recommend one to you, I'd say look at a leupold 4x or 2-7x. might even look at that new redfield 2-7x.

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
A pretty poor picture of mine...it wears a stainless Weaver 4x. I think the 77/44 looks great with a straight tube on it. I would suggest 4x at the most. Maybe a 1-4 or 1.5-5or similar. You wouldn't need any more than that. I have a Weaver Grand Slam 1.5-5x32 on another rifle that is top notch also. That Burris should make for a fine scope for the 77 too.

dmazur

Bearcat
I put a Leupold VXII 1-4X on my 77/44.

The bolt handle clears, even though the scope has covers.

Ruger77-44.jpg

nhlever

Bearcat
I would look hard at the new Redfield scopes, though I wish they had a 1x-4x. They are made in this country by Leupold, are not expensive, and reviews I've read look good. I also like that they have "click" adjustments.

jessejmc1979

Bearcat
I just read a review on that nikon african last night in my american hunter magazine. It sounds like a dandy but I don't really want an adjustable power. I want to keep it as simple as possible. But who knows I may change my mind on that too. Thanks for the info guys.

Latest posts