Scope finish to match Hawkeye Predator

Help Support Ruger Forum:

scotts94_z28

Bearcat
Ok so I have just purchased a Ruger Hawkeye Predator in 22-250 with the Green Mountain Laminate Stock and the Hawkeye Matte Stainless Finish. I'm going to be purchasing a Leupold VX-3 4.5-14x40mm and am unsure as to what finish would match best. The scope can be had in matte finish at their custom shop in either silver, smoke gray, or gunmetal gray. Anyone have any experience matching one of these finishes to their Ruger rifle with the hawkeye matte stainless finish? Pictures would also be greatly appreciated if someone has matched a scope to their rifles finish.

6mmsl

Single-Sixer
I perfer not to match it is never perfect. Matte black with the Leupold rings to match scope is a good combo.

Call Leupold they probably know best......it is probably not the first time this question has come up.

Good shooting-Steve

scotts94_z28

Bearcat
Not interested in matte black with this rifle. E-mailed leupold but the person who responded seemed to have absolutly no knowledge of their product line. Came here guessing that I couldn't possibly be the first person ever to try and match a scope to rugers hawkeye matte stainless finish.

mike7mm08

Buckeye
Colorwise the gunmetal grey would be the closest match. The biggest issue is the finish probable won't match. The gun metal gray while matte is still smooth. It is a perfect match to the Ruger target grey finish. But it will not have the same texture as the finish of your hawkeye and color might not match exact. The gun metal gray was a perfect match to the frontier rifles that were finished in target grey. Colorwise the gun metal grey is a perfect match to the matte finish of the barrel on my stainless Browning blr. I was going to get a scout scope in the gun metal grey.But the texture is not even close. The browning finish is very very close to the finish of your hawkeye. Despite the color match I did not like how the gunmetal grey looked. Best description I could give is the finish on the browning is like a grey suede and the gun metal grey is like grey leather if that makes any sense. So I went with a matte black scope. Rather have contrast than something that does not match exact.

RJ556

Buckeye
I also want my scopes black only. I am a big fan of stainless and walnut. I always bead blast my stainless guns for a less reflective better looking finish. I think black scopes look better because if you cannot get a good match, a contrast looks better. I also think the stainless rings look hideous with a black scope. I Duracoat all of my Ruger Stainless rings in a matte black finish that is very durable and rust proof.

RJ556

Buckeye
Here are a few pics of a couple of my stainless Ruger rifles. The first is my M77 with uncoated rings, the second is it with coated rings. The third is my M77.
IMG_0046.jpg

bl2.jpg

bl1.jpg

RJ556

Buckeye
Thanks Woodsloafer. I pillar bedded the M77. Caliber is .223 Rem. From the limited shootong that I have done since I put it in the walnut stock, it is very accurate.

6mmsl

Single-Sixer
RJ556-can you send me a PM on this Duracoat process or discuss it here.

I like the Leupold Rings because they are lighter than Ruger-granted not much. I would use the Ruger if they matched better,your Duracoat looks good.

Good shooting-Steve

Trey Whitley

Single-Sixer
6mmsl":1jpljmtp said:
I would use the Ruger if they matched better

Steve-
I'm not knocking the Duracoat process, but have you tried the matte Ruger rings? I think they match the Leupold matte finish quite well...I'd think coating them would cost more but I certainly don't know that for sure. Here's my stainless/walnut RSI with matte factory rings (bought through either Brownells or MidwayUSA...can't remember which).

L1020092.jpg

6mmsl

Single-Sixer
Trey-Nice rig!

I have not tried Ruger Black Matte rings good suggestion. I only have Matte stainless Haweyes and MKII's stainless and blued. I will take your suggestion.

Thanx

Good shooting-Steve

RJ556

Buckeye
Trey, that is a fantastic looking rifle. 6mmsl, Duracoat is not hard to use. I learned to use it when I built "a bunch" of AK's from parts kits. That said, it requires an airbrush and compressor ( I have had perfect results using only a $5 Harbor Freight airbrush). If you already have this stuff and you have several sets of rings to do, then the $25 cost of the Duracoat would probably be cost effective. It is somewhat time consuming, taking several hours for the prep and clean-up. If you're not already set up for airbrush spraying, then Trey is right, it would probably be cheaper if you just needed one or two sets of blued rings. I had the stuff so it was a no brainer to me. There is one advantage to the Duracoated stainless rings though, they will not rust. If you don't keep some protection on the blued rings, they will rust. RJ