scope base left lines on receiver of mark III stainless

Help Support Ruger Forum:

lovemyruger2010

Bearcat
I have decided to switch to iron sights permanently. I took the scope and base off last night and came to find that the scope base left two lines down the receiver. The local gunsmith told me he would have to re bead blast the barrel but its not guaranteed to match like it was from factory. Is there a way to get these lines(scratches) off the receiver? Receiver is factory stainless.

contender

Ruger Guru
Your scope base fit on the barrel???
Most fit to the reciever. However,, if it's stainless, you can easily apply a carefull polish by using scotchbrite pads yourself.

lovemyruger2010

Bearcat
contender":1gwqy7kd said:
Your scope base fit on the barrel???
Most fit to the reciever. However,, if it's stainless, you can easily apply a carefull polish by using scotchbrite pads yourself.

Your right the scope base mounts on the receiver not the barrel. I am still trying to wake up :) wont polish, POLISH up the metal?

you can use a scotch brite, no matter the color, just go in the proper direction, AROUND the receiver, not along it....

or you can use a strip if fine or medium emery paper, preferably a "used" not a "fresh" strip and give the top a "shoe shine" ...I could have done it already in the time it took to type out this reply..............

lovemyruger2010

Bearcat
rugerguy":1p89sqjp said:
you can use a scotch brite, no matter the color, just go in the proper direction, AROUND the receiver, not along it....

or you can use a strip if fine or medium emery paper, preferably a "used" not a "fresh" strip and give the top a "shoe shine" ...I could have done it already in the time it took to type out this reply..............

Everyone is making it sound so simple. So, I go and buy a scotchbright pad. I then just rub it lightly over the top of the receiver and it should blend right in?

Flash

Buckeye
yes, even the sponges at the grocery store have scotch brite pads on them. I use green pads as if I was shining a shoe. An end in each hand and rub back and fourth with the grip between your knees. Go easy and slow and you'll do fine.

nope, you are NOT going to "polish it" with any of the methods we pointed out above......................flash has it right, thats about all we do, "shoe shine it", and as you said, just rub, across the top, and you can work those lines out...all those lines are , are shiny ,rub marks, from vibration, so you will blend them in, and matte them out...it is quite simple , and easy.......

the same thing often happens in the front of the grip frame when folks who shoot, and wear a ring, and you wll get those marks, do the same thing there while you're at it.................. :wink:

lovemyruger2010

Bearcat
You guys are great! Thank you very much for your help. I went to wal-mart and purchased a pack of green scotch bright pads. I came home cut one of the pads into a strip about an inch wide. I placed the gun between my knees. I "shoe shined the top of the receiver" light and slow. It took a while but they came out and you cant even tell. Looks brand new. Thank you all very much:)

Flash

Buckeye
Glad it worked out for you. Now, when you spy something stainless in the used gun case and it shows some wear, you'll know it's a diamond in the rough. :D

lovemyruger2010

Bearcat
rugerguy":1377lui0 said:
gotta love it when a plan works out.............. :wink:

( and yes, you will look at any and all stainless guns in a "new light " now)

Diamond in the rough, very good.....................
I'll drink to that 8)

A

Anonymous

Hay, don't let your wife see you .....using scotch brite pad or you'll be assigned more household jobs! Kitchen pans could use a good going over! etc....

lovemyruger2010

Bearcat
Doug45601":21ei7p4h said:
Hay, don't let your wife see you .....using scotch brite pad or you'll be assigned more household jobs! Kitchen pans could use a good going over! etc....
Yea, thank god I am not married yet. I will keep my scotch brite pads hidden in my tool chest :)