School me on the SP 101's

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ShortBBL

Blackhawk
I had a 4" 22 SP101 a long time back (wish I still had it of course) but never had one of the shorter ones. I'm hoping to find a 2 3/4" Speed Six for CCW use, but might have to try an SP101 instead or in addition!?

I probably would try the 3" 357 model, as I already have a pocket gun (642S&W) so... tell me about these. How do you guys like them? Are they anywhere near as good as the GP100's and the Security/speed sixes were?

One other thing... I recen;t saw a brand new Redhawk 4" and was shocked at the lack of quality control on that thing. The cylinder crane (I think thats the term) didn't even fit perfectly in the gun frame.. there was a nasty gap on one edge! Whats with that?

Are the SP's any better in the fit/finish dept?

Thats one thing I dislike about the newer guns... but, on the other hand, my Lipseys 44 is perfect!! So....

Feedback and please, PICTURES if you care to share!

Thanks!

ShortBBL

Blackhawk
I made the mistake of selling my 2 3/4" Speed Six to my dad about 20 years ago. He don't wanna give it up and I dont wanna wait to get it back the hard way some day... so.. I need to find another!!

If I told ya the distance that I shot a softball with that shorty, you'd call me a liar! I hope the next one shoots as good!

Eric N.

Bearcat
I have a SP101 3"bbl. 357 Mag. I like it alot,and the fit and finish is very nice. And it shoots as good as it looks. This is my carry gun in the streets and the woods.

patcannon

Single-Sixer
Here's mine. I loved the feel of the SP101 when I saw one in a shop, so it became my carry gun. I shoot IDPA, and you need a 6 shooter for an IDPA revolver, so I bought the GP100. The fit & finish of the SP101 is what sold me on the gun; it's gorgeous. I bought the GP100 used, online. It's got some obvious wear, in fact some definite scars, but it still fits tight and shoots great.

From what I read, Ruger quality control has varied over time, so it's not so much a matter of which models are made better, as when a gun was made.

ftlupton

Single-Sixer
I had the 3" SP and I liked it but it did take a return to the factory to get it right. I hike a lot and I found it too heavy when all else was added to the belt(fanny pack etc). I usually carry my SW 638, I love that little gun. I shoot it a lot and am used to the recoil even with hotter loads. At 10 to 15 yards I am pretty accurate, up close at 7 yds it puts em right in the COM or the head every shot. Love my Security Six but it is heavy and it goes hunting or to the range. Bedside gun is the XDSC in .40. All good.

contender

Ruger Guru
Well, we have a few SP's, a Speed-Six, and a Security-Six around here. All of them are quite nice. You can't go wrong with any of them. As for the QC issue,, some folks have found some minor flaws in all models,, and refuse to buy those peticular guns. Fine,, keep looking & you'll find a nice specimen.
I don't have any pics of my DA's like that,,, hhmmm!

QB

Single-Sixer
Here's two of my SP101s (both 9mm). I have another 3" 9mm that I just purchased from a member of this forum and I am looking for a second 2 1/4" one.

I ordered a holster for the 2 1/4" barrel SP101 from Lob GunLeather that should be here soon. I use an OWB that snaps on the belt for easy removal and rides nice and high and close to my body. Once I receive it I'll post a picture in the gallery.

SP101Both.jpg

Knuckles

Buckeye
Mine was a little tight and had a few sharp edges that would bite me when shooting .357mag.

Everything was rubbed and worked out with alto of dry-fire and some hi-grit sand paper.

I sold this one in the pic' to a friend... I have a new holster and set of boot-grips waiting to be put on another SP just like it.

I could carry that thing wearing a pair of swim trunks and a big tank-top shirt.

I had a S & W 640 DAO and sold it before I ever shot it... SP101 is "the bee's knees"... buy it you like it.

SP101Double Action Only .357mag (w/Uncle Mike's "Boot-Grips")
Picture156-1.jpg

Smith & Wesson Model 640 "Centennial" ( w/Uncle Mike's Grips) almost same gun as the Ruger
sell002.jpg

rug357

Bearcat
I have a 2 1/4" barrel SP101 in 357Mag.
I got it about 15 years ago to use as my primary CCW weapon.
I carried it for a while loaded with Federal 125gr JHP.
It is a little heavy but felt good knowing I had 5 shots of proven man stopper load.
Used to practice at the local indoor range with that ammo and would get dirty look from others due to excessive noise and blast.
These days it serves mostly as my sister's boat gun.
Here is a pic of the revolver.
RUGERSP1011.jpg

bub

Single-Sixer
sp-101-7.jpg

Here's a pic of my SP. I carry it when I work at the PD for backup and it is my constant off-duty piece. Carry load, per Dept regulations, is Winchester .38+P 125gr Silvertips. If I had my choice, I would be carrying either Federal .357 125gr JHP or the Speer short barrel .357 load. It started out as a regular spurred hammer model but I bobbed the hammer due to snagging issues when drawn with the hammer spur.

Before the SP, I had a S&W 649 in .357. For me, I find that the SP carries better, shoots better and is easier to shoot. I've slicked up the trigger some per the directions that used to be found at www.rugerforum.net but Iowegan has taken his IBOKS down due to copyright issues and people joining over there just to get the IBOK, then never coming back.

The SP is a TANK! I can't imagine that a single person would ever be able to wear it out. If someone did, it would take a LONG time and a LOT of ammo!

As for fit/finish issues, some have reported poor fit and finish on some particular guns. Just check any gun you find with a fine-tooth comb and you will be good to go. Nothing wrong with the SP design but there seems to be a problem with QC on some individual guns.

As for 2 or 3" model, it all depends on how you will carry. For me, I carry on duty in a weak side body armor holster and off duty strong side IWB. I literally could not carry a 3" due to where the gun rides on duty. The 3" is too long and would hit my duty belt and push itself out of the holster when I sit. As it is, the 2" hits my duty belt but is not long enough to push itself out of the holster. If you plan on solely OWB or IWB carry, the 3" should be just fine. For pocket or other special purpose carry, the 2" would be best. All depends on how and where you carry.

The SP is an accurate little cuss, too. When I practice, I always shoot a cylinderful or two at 75' or beyond and never have any trouble (at 75') keeping a 4 or 5" group slow fire. It's right on for windage but a little low for elevation. I can reliably keep all 5 COM at 100', although groups open up a bit. Some say that you will NEVER have a long range self-defense shooting. Likely they are right, but I'd rather know where it shoots at long range and have a chance rather than guess if I ever need to shoot that far away.

Overall, it's hard to beat an SP for CCW. They might be a little heavy, but they are GREAT guns, reliable as the day is long and shoot like a dream. What more could you ask for? GET ONE!!!!!

Bub

Tommy Kelly

Buckeye
I have a 2 1/4" with the reg hammer. Its a dream to shoot with 38 spec. And a handfull with 357's. It shoots to poa with 38's. and sits great in a simply rugged pancake holster. There is only 1 problem The day I bought it I bought a box of 38 remington bullets and on the way home I stopped and let the wife shoot it. She loves it and wants one for her self. She shot almost all the bullets we had that day on the first stop. When we got home my daughter came by and the wife told her she needed to go get her one that it was a fine pistol and she really wanted one of her own. I have several nice 38's snubby. But for some reason she is hung up on the ruger. I even have a mod 15 S&W that has the adjustable sights but she doesn't like it. I have a mod 36 cheif special but she wants a sp101. She doesn't want 357's in it just 38's. I like the sp also and like the ability to use the 357 and the strong look of the gun. I replaced the plastic pannels with some spalted maple and it looks a lot better to me. Looks like I will have to get another one for her. I own quite a few handguns and this one is the only one she raves over. We enjoy going out and shooting in the country whenever we have time. She shoots my 357 blackhawk and my single six a lot but the sp is her favorite of all the 357 is a convertable and also shoots the 9mm with the extra cyl. She enjoys shooting and is a pretty good shot for what we do we don't shoot paper just whatever we find turtles beer cans snakes sticks. I also have a alaskan in 454 casull I could get some cowboy loaded 45 colts for her to shoot and see how she does with that. She only shot my 500 smith 1 time and wouldnt shoot it anymore. She doesn't like recoil much. I may try her on one of my 44's with specials in it shouldn't be much more than the 38's in a smaller gun.

s4s4u

Hunter
I've got an SP101 in .38 SP and love it. I shoot +P's and cannot find any reason to have a snubby .357 mag.

stare-decisis

Single-Sixer
005.jpg

Here's my Sp101, I've had a 4" SS Security six that was a wonderful gun. Picked up for a steal at a local gunshop. However, I sold it for a P345 when I got the semi auto itch. The sp is just a little bit easier to carry due to being a smidge thinner. I felt like the Sec Six had a better trigger. I put a 9 LB Wolff trigger spring in the SP because the DA pull was very heavy. Its better now, and I've had no light primer strikes, and I use CCI primers primarily. Both shot really well. I've had a meprolight night sight put on the SP and recommend it for anyone looking to get a night sight.
I would like to get another Sec Six some point in the future.

garp007

Bearcat
Short BBL: I have had a few Rugers. I sticked with my SP 101 9mm Lugre in 2,25" and this is the only gun I will never ever trade for anything else. I love. IMHO, this is ideal combination of relability ( it is a revolver isn´it? ) and making sure of having enough of bullets ready to use - th clips)

QB: I envy you :) , I wish I had such a combination. For 2.25 " in 9mm I have been looking for in my ( Czecch ) market for over 2 years, for the 3" it seems to be hopelesss.. :cry: