School me on the Birdshead Vaquero

Help Support Ruger Forum:

JPGLSG1234

Blackhawk
BH-G-FS-IMG-1433.jpg

contender

Ruger Guru
For those of y'all who fail to catch it,, Jim has posted some pics of some seriously well crafted upgrades to many good Rugers here. Those are some mighty nice handguns!

contender said:
For those of y'all who fail to catch it,, Jim has posted some pics of some seriously well crafted upgrades to many good Rugers here. Those are some mighty nice handguns!

I saw one of his pics year ago as my inspiration to try a long-barreled birdshead. I never knew where the pic came from at the time since it was found under a general Google search. Nice to see "the rest of the story"! And I agree,… lots of custom grips and custom fitting to get birdshead grips on guns that never came with them. Eye candy for sure. I only posted mine to show a wide-spur hammer on a 7.5" with birdshead.

JPGLSG1234

Blackhawk
seasterl said:
contender said:

I saw one of his pics year ago as my inspiration to try a long-barreled birdshead. I never knew where the pic came from at the time since it was found under a general Google search. Nice to see "the rest of the story"! And I agree,… lots of custom grips and custom fitting to get birdshead grips on guns that never came with them. Eye candy for sure. I only posted mine to show a wide-spur hammer on a 7.5" with birdshead.

And that photo of that wide spur hammer has sent me on the hunt for some. That look on that 7.5"guns does the trick for sure I really like that, thanks for sharing.

balin

Bearcat
I have 1 in .44 magnum. Specials are fun to shoot. But the magnums torque in my hand are not as fun. Double taps are not going to happen.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
seasterl said:
Will the ERH not stay on with the 500 and was left off? Nice Bisley hammers, but is that what drew blood since they come down so low? Is the 45Colt a five-shot or six?

The .45 is clearly a six shot.

In the photo, compare the location of the cyl flutes relative to the cyl lock notches with the 500 which is a 5 shot.

protoolman

Service-Sixer
The bidsheads aren't very good for a quick consistent grip for me. I have big hands and they move around a lot under recoil, causing me to adjust my grip for a second shot. I just like the look.

cee_Kamp

Bearcat
No experience at all with the heavy calibers using the Birdshead grip, but 9mm, .38 Special & modest .357 loads seem OK.

I have a piece of rural property where I go and do dirt work projects and run a tractor, loader, backhoe and Bush Hog.
I refuse to go there unarmed and also did not want to beat up one or more of my nice handguns.
Using machinery, on & off of a tractor, pick & shovel in the bottom of a ditch, that kind of work is rough on a nice handgun.

So one day a few years ago at the local sporting goods store, I found a used stainless 4.625" Ruger NM Blackhawk chambered in .357 and bought it.
It is mechanically in very good condition. Cosmetically is a different story. It's scratched, the sights are beat up, and it even has some pitting.
It looked like blood had been on the right side of the frame and left there for a significant duration. I did not ask any questions.

Soon after purchasing, I realized I didn't really like the traditional "plow handle" grip when getting on and off of my tractor using a high ride holster.
The corner of the grip frame was digging me in the ribs and was in the way against the tractor seat.
I also did not like buying .357 Mag or .38 Special ammo or components. I reload using a single stage press for all of my low volume usage cartridges and keep my progressive press continuously set up for 9mm.

So I started watching the classified section here on this Forum and after a month or so, I procured a stainless Birdshead grip frame.
I looked for a long time for a stainless 9mm cylinder but ultimately was unsuccessful finding one.
Eventually I found one in blued carbon steel. It required some machining on the front face of the cylinder in addition to the usual places.
Now I have a blued carbon steel cylinder with bare steel in several places.
Another Forum provided a vendor that did Mil-Spec OEM type Parkerizing and after fitting the 9mm cylinder and test firing, I sent it out for Parkerizing.

When the cylinder returned, I fitted the Birdshead grip frame.
This one I just don't care if it gets scratched, muddy or wet. It was also a fun project!
All it is to me is a functional tool.

Here is a "Thank You" to the Forum members for the parts I needed!

IMG_20201209_145418094 by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr

IMG_20201209_145513722 by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr

IMG_20201209_145533843 by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr

protoolman

Service-Sixer
CeeKamp I love your project gun! Parkerized cylinder for a stainless gun! Brilliant- I just love the way it came together, lots of two tone guns with silver and blue but never thought about parkerizing. I have thought about Titanium nitride coatings ( gold colored) though. Kudos for thinking outside the box. Unique gun.

cee_Kamp

Bearcat
I wanted the 9mm cylinder to be strikingly visually different from the stainless .357 cylinder.
I thought about having the 9mm cylinder plated in hard chrome or electroless nickel.
If I had been able to source a stainless 9mm cylinder, I would likely have had it refinished to a different (dark) style finish.
The real reason for the Parkerized cylinder was to give the user (me) a strong visual clue about which ammo the gun needed.
Stainless cylinder: .38 Special and/or .357 Magnum.
Parkerized cylinder: 9mm.
The only thing worse than not having a gun when you need one, is having a gun when you need one and having the wrong ammo for it.

When I got an extra SS (45ACP) cylinder for my SS Bisley in 45 Colt, I was fortunate to get the 45ACP cylinder in the fluted variety whereas the 45 Colt was non-fluted and roll-marked. Without this option, I agree to have something to easily identify the cylinder if you're going to be swapping them out routinely.

George

Blackhawk
With my hands for some reason bird's head grip feels like a greased banana. Always makes me a little leery after cocking the hammer because of the shape of the handle does not naturally catch the gun if your grip is loose or your hands are sweaty, particularly cocking the gun with one hand. With a cocked gun if it slips the direction is going to be pointed in when the trigger finally gets pulled accidentally by the weight of the gun as it rotates down in your hand. This may not be an issue but I sure didn't have any comfort handling one. I went to plow handle! George

JPGLSG1234

Blackhawk
George

For all you naysayers out there on our beloved Birdheads, I did give equal time to a set of Plowhandles so people wouldn't think I didn't have any diversity in my guns. I've got to get started on that on that other grip frame one day.

PH-8-Full-Size-R.jpg

Rclark

Hunter
Honestly speaking, though, limiting your 45Colt loads to only 14,000psi ...
Just wanted to comment that your aren't limited to Tier 1 14K loads with any New Vaquero. You are limited to Tier 2 loads (23K). You just can't shoot Tier 3 loads (ROLs 32K) . Which means you still have plenty of wiggle room there! Normal 14K loads are more than adequate for most uses however....

As for Ruger Birdshead revolvers ... I don't own any... yet. I do have a .32-20/32 H&R Magnum Cimarron Lightning revolver though. If that counts...

Nice revolvers above!