Scariest Gun You Have Ever Possessed

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Colonialgirl

Hawkeye
I've got an old double barrel 10 gauge shot gun I inherited from my Grand Father; My dad told me one time that he and my Uncle took it out to shoot as teenagers; Said it would knock them on their "donkeys" ever time and recommended never trying it. He called it a "Goose Gun" . My brother had a cap &ball revolved he inherited, your hand disappeared in a ball of flame when you fired it at night and any hair was GONE !!

Joe Chartreuse

Single-Sixer
I have had several offered to me all from inheritances

An early number Springfield 1903 that falls in the range of questionable heat treat

A Carcano the previous owner said it split the cases when he tried it.

A Laminated barrel sxs Bonehill 12 gauge with external hammers.

A US REVOLVER a bad copy of a top break s&w.

A s&w lemon squeezer I’m on the fence about. Could be safe, not worth the risk. The juice isn’t worth the squeeze.
The US REVOLVER was definitely scary. Reminds me of my Bearman Guardian- a crappy Bond Arms imitation.

Joe Chartreuse

Single-Sixer
I have a Universal Arms .30 carbine. It has a tolerance stack that will allow it to fire with the bolt unlocked. I discovered that one day while rapid
firing, fortunately had glasses on and plugs in. Face got sprayed with debris and it was very loud. Did some research and found it was a known issue of
a range of serial numbers. I still shoot it but smack the bolt shut every time before I fire it, someday it'll make it to the top of the list of things to fix.
Some years back I bought a .375 Remington ultra mag at an estate sale, The man's son told me his dad had bought it and three boxes of ammo.
Two were unopened and the other had 12 unfired rounds left all 300 grain Remington. I took it to the range twice and sold it a few years later with
the remaining two full boxes of ammo.
I had no reason to have it and the recoil was just viscous, very sharp and painful. it would have been a great way to learn to flinch.
I wouldn't shoot ANY Universal

I don't think I would be scared to shoot this but probably a little apprehensive . :)
It is a1871 Snider Enfield in .455 that my Son shipped to me from Afghanistan when he was on deployment. The Carbines are rather scarce most are rifles. I sure wish it could talk.

The British .577 Snider–Enfield was a breech-loading rifle. The American Jacob Snider invented this firearm action, and the Snider–Enfield was one of the most widely used of the Snider varieties. The British Army adopted it in 1866 as a conversion system for its ubiquitous Pattern 1853 Enfield muzzle-loading rifles, and used it until 1874 when the Martini–Henry rifle began to supersede it. The British Indian Army used the Snider–Enfield until the end of the nineteenth century.
The Cavalry Carbine is half stocked and has only one barrel band. It has a 19+1​2​-inch (50 cm) barrel, with the same rifling as the Short Rifle.

!873 Officers Model Springfield in 45-70 on top
1662240346286.png

1662240397845.png

1662240507272.png

1662240562196.png

A REAL BIG hole
1662241190768.png

Have gun-will travel

Single-Sixer
Townsville,[email protected] Kerr Lake,near Va.border
I had a Ruger Super Redhawk 454 casull. That I shot a cylinder full of original ammo for Freedom Arms . That SOB is the only gun I've ever shot that hurt me . My right hand was numb for several weeks. Dr said I had some nerve damage from it. Only shot 5 rounds then sold it. I've shot a S&W 500 mag 25 or 30 rounds and never had a problem.

Last edited:
The only firearm we have here I have no interest in shooting again is my husbands Marlin 1895 guide gun in .450 Marlin. The various recoil charts put the recoil of the original factory in .450 load in that light of a gun as kicking twice as hard as the .45-70 405 grain standard velocity and pressure loads. You can certainly tell the difference!

A Stevens Model 94 Single shot 16 guage that a friend lent me in high school--it was "nice and light" because it had a "Tenite" plastic stock. One of his 2 3/4""short magnum" 4s was enough of that for me.

I have a neat Ruger Number 3 that I got cheap from a guy that thought a .45-70 would be ideal for Elk hunting. He fired all of 5 round with it and sold it to me mint and cheap. It quickly became my .250-3000 "recoiless rifle."

black1970

Single-Sixer
Mossberg Shock wave. Scary in my hands. I couldn't control it after it fired.. Definitely couldn't rapid fire one. I had to grip high on the birds head grip to reach the trigger & that put the top safety on my thumb bottom knuckle. Two rounds & there was blood. Got rid of it in a week.
Shoot the 1 3/4 inch shells in mine with the OpSol shorty adapter. Can shoot it with one hand like a pistol. Mossberg is now making a S model with a fixed adapter from the factory that will shoot all 3 lengths of shells.

kmoore

Buckeye
Possessed was a H&R single shot 12 ga. a friend owned and dared me to shoot either 00 buck or slug, I cannot remember which about 45 years ago. I shot it once and told him it was a stupid to shoot those heavy loads it kicked far to much. Of the many I own or have owned none really scare me or prevent me from shooting them.
In my dads later years he was buying the contenders and came up with the idea to hunt elk with one in 45-70. I watched him shoot a .35 rem that he could not hit the broadside of a barn with at 50 yards. He got a scope on it and that did not help. So, when he got the 45-70 he asked that I sight it in for him. I refused more out of not wanting him hunting elk with any handgun than fear about shooting it. He never shot it it.

Ka6otm

Blackhawk
1972 1895 Marlin .45-70 shooting a 400 grain Speer bullet at approximately 2,000 fps.

I've had a few people ask to shoot a round in it. Only one person asked for a second round.

OM41

Ruger Forum Member since 07
In the 1970's I bought a cheap foreign made 380 semi-auto
What was then called a Saturday Night Special.
It was made with cheap steel maybe pot metal and had so much wear after about half a box of ammo it was not fired anymore.

Rum River

Bearcat
A 1903A3 built by the "National Ordnance" company. At the time I didn't know that '03A3s were only Smith-Corona or Remington.

National Ordnance bought surplus A3 parts and then cast the receivers to build their rifles. Turns out the receivers were known to be soft and would stretch way out of allowable headspace. I shot mine some before hearing all this.

I bought a no-go headspace gauge and found the action closed with no problem. I started adding masking tape to back of the gauge....and added.....and added. Was able to add over .012" of tape before it showed any sign of being compressed when I closed the action.

Whew!!

Rum River

Bearcat
I had a Ruger #3 44 magnum that the chamber was lengthened to 444 Marlin. It was pretty brutal to shoot. Luckily it was still able to handle 44 mag.
This one reminded me of hard-kicking rifle I had. Came across one of these Ruger #3 carbines that was in .30-40 Krag. For whatever reason I felt the need to rechamber to .30-40 Krag Ackley Improved.

Ye Gods.

Picture shooting a .300 Win Mag in a 6 lb. rifle with a curved buttplate. I can relate to that .444 being brutal.

Trailduster

Bearcat
Mossberg 835 3.5”. Brutal recoil. My 11-87 Remington 3” is much easier on my shoulder.
I bought a Plainfield M1 carbine from a buddy of mine to help him out on some much needed cash at the time.

When I fired it for the first time,it went
bang,bang,brrrrrp!
Now I knew it wasn’t an M2 so you can imagine my surprise after that.

I popped the mag out,emptied the chamber and then reinserted mag and chambered another round.

Again, bang,bang brrrrrrp!!

I called it everything except for what it was and put it back in the case.LOL!!
I sold it with all due haste shortly afterwards.

What a POS!!! 🤣

RSIno1

Hunter
Open bolt Cobray Mac 11 in .380. If you held the trigger partially down it went full auto. Swapped it off for a new 1911 and Garand Tanker M1 to FedOrd in El Monte CA just before the state required registration. Paid $140 for the M11 and sold the trade guns a few years ago for about 2 grand so I did ok but not as well if I had kept and sold the M11 in the same time frame.

Ride1949

Blackhawk
A Davis P380. Feed issues from the start. Sent it back three times to finally get a barrel with some rifling in it. Found out later about their tendency for barrels (at the top of the breech) and/or the slides to crack. The wife paid $69.00 for it as a gift because it was "cute." She paid way too much.(unless she was looking to cash in on my insurance policy.)

Last edited:

Latest posts