Scariest Gun You Have Ever Possessed

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Joe Chartreuse

Single-Sixer
Have you ever possessed a gun- long gun or hand gun- that made you just a tad nervous to use? Maybe stopped using it? What was it? For me it was an old FP-45 Liberator, If you don't know, this was a weapon made for resistance fighters in WWII, supposedly for no other purpose than to gain better weaponry from whomever they shot. ,45 single shot non-rifled barrel pistol. One shot was enough for me. What was you "scariest"?

My 1914 Iver-Johnson Hercules Model 12 Gauge side by side, it's my most beloved gun for sentimental reasons but my shoulder hurts just thinking about shooting it...even with low brass.

contender

Ruger Guru
I've never owned a firearm I considered scary. I've shot hard kicking rifles, shotguns, & handguns. Yet, none scared me. I refuse to own a firearm that I'd consider unsafe, with (1) minor exception. My Dad brought back a Japanese handgun from WWII, that has a dent in it (from when it was hit by a bullet.) The dent is in part of the barrel, and as such, would be unsafe to shoot. Luckily, ammo for it has never been easily available to me,, nor would I pursue getting any. It's become a family heirloom, and stays in the family.

Now,, I've seen some firearms I'd consider unsafe to shoot & told whomever that exact thought. It would be scary to be around one of them being fired.

mistermills357

Blackhawk
My Remington M870 was a terror with 00 buckshot. I ended up with a bruise as big as the palm of my hand after shooting a few cylinders of it.

eveled

Hunter
I have had several offered to me all from inheritances

An early number Springfield 1903 that falls in the range of questionable heat treat

A Carcano the previous owner said it split the cases when he tried it.

A Laminated barrel sxs Bonehill 12 gauge with external hammers.

A US REVOLVER a bad copy of a top break s&w.

A s&w lemon squeezer I’m on the fence about. Could be safe, not worth the risk. The juice isn’t worth the squeeze.

Last edited:

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I have a Universal M1 Carbine that makes me nervous to shoot. From what I understand they were made in Miami from parts and pieces. Seems they have a bad habit of not locking the bolt and still firing. I have tested mine many times and I am real careful when I shoot it but it still makes me a little nervous, (I said that before didn't I)🙂

Johnnu2

Buckeye
I still get a little nervous around M1 Carbines (and mini-14's too?) ever since I heard that they had some kind of floating firing pin that could go off when the bolt was slammed shut on a live round. Not sure about the mini-14's but I guess as long as one doesn't chamber a round in the basement preparing for the apocalypse, you should be OK.

20 yrs ago, I did buy a FA Mod 83 in 454 Casull; fired one round of factory ammo and sold it the next week.
YES, I'm a 'weakling' (was gonna use another word but not on a family-friendly platform).

J

I have a Universal Arms .30 carbine. It has a tolerance stack that will allow it to fire with the bolt unlocked. I discovered that one day while rapid
firing, fortunately had glasses on and plugs in. Face got sprayed with debris and it was very loud. Did some research and found it was a known issue of
a range of serial numbers. I still shoot it but smack the bolt shut every time before I fire it, someday it'll make it to the top of the list of things to fix.
Some years back I bought a .375 Remington ultra mag at an estate sale, The man's son told me his dad had bought it and three boxes of ammo.
Two were unopened and the other had 12 unfired rounds left all 300 grain Remington. I took it to the range twice and sold it a few years later with
the remaining two full boxes of ammo.
I had no reason to have it and the recoil was just viscous, very sharp and painful. it would have been a great way to learn to flinch.

I have a Universal M1 Carbine that makes me nervous to shoot. From what I understand they were made in Miami from parts and pieces. Seems they have a bad habit of not locking the bolt and still firing. I have tested mine many times and I am real careful when I shoot it but it still makes me a little nervous, (I said that before didn't I)🙂
You can actually check that. Gun obviously empty, cycle the bolt closed then pull it back just enough to open the locking lugs and pull
the trigger to see if it will fire. Can do that or pull the trigger with the bolt almost closed and see what point it will fire as you slowly let it closed
Mine can fire before it's locked, someday I'll take it apart and find/fix the issue, not safe as it is to let anybody shoot it.

pyth0n

Blackhawk
Mossberg Shock wave. Scary in my hands. I couldn't control it after it fired.. Definitely couldn't rapid fire one. I had to grip high on the birds head grip to reach the trigger & that put the top safety on my thumb bottom knuckle. Two rounds & there was blood. Got rid of it in a week.

Jlmerie

Bearcat
I used to have a Winchester Model 100. It was a 308 and I liked it. Because I am left handed, I have always found right handed bolt action very difficult. Unfortunately, at some point my semi-automatic started firing fully automatic. Not the whole clip but 2 or 3 at a time. A little disconcerting. I ended up trading it to a gunsmith, and I am sure he took care of that.

eveled

Hunter
You can actually check that. Gun obviously empty, cycle the bolt closed then pull it back just enough to open the locking lugs and pull
the trigger to see if it will fire. Can do that or pull the trigger with the bolt almost closed and see what point it will fire as you slowly let it closed
Mine can fire before it's locked, someday I'll take it apart and find/fix the issue, not safe as it is to let anybody shoot it.
Thanks for this. I have a Universal M1 and was unaware of the issue. Sounds like a good check to do on any center fire semi auto

I have a very light single barrel 12 ga. I wouldn't call it scary but it definitely lets you know you have pulled the trigger. It kills on one end and wounds on the other. It got little use over many years.

krw

Blackhawk
Several of us in out “group” buy Nitro Ammunition Turkey lds. My beretta 390 w 3” #7 tungsten goes from a kitty cat to a Tiger. And my Buddy’s 3 1/2” Super Blk Eagle with their Tungsten Magnums are just off the chart. It is quik, hard, and lingerin!!

arcticruger

Red Eagle
For me it wood have been an old worn out 5 digit Inland M1 Carbine that I had back in the ‘80s. This thing was so worn that the operating rod would pop off and the bolt would almost pop completely out every time I tried to fire it. I remember when working on it hiding behind a tree and pulling a string to test it afterwards... heheh

Latest posts