Scam, bad business practice, bad website?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Dan in MI

Staff member
I just went on line to book a room for show I will be attending. (Hampton Inn/Hilton site) I set up the dates pick the room and then it offers different rates with different options. I take the non refundable because I know I am going and it's the cheapest. I select it and finish up payment. BOOM! At some point in the rate selection process it changes dates on me.

I jump on the phone and they "as a courtesy" did cancel it. While I am on hold I try again, just to see if I did something wrong. Nope, as soon as I go the different rate selection it changes the dates. I mentioned that to the guy on the phone and he brushed it off. So now I am going to wait until I am positive the cancellation worked and then think about booking.

I wonder if this screws a bunch of people that don't catch it immediately as the lowest rate is the non refundable.

Are you sure you were on the Hilton.com website and not a website that maybe a ghost site?

Hilton is a very reputable brand, i am a Diamond member of Hilton and book hotel rooms all the time on their site with zero issues regarding what you mention….maybe a glitch or another issue I suppose.

dweis

Single-Sixer
I’d take a peek at the account of the card you used. I travel a good bit, and I stay a various Hilton Brands. Never had a glitch. Real possibility it was a scam. If you used credit, and were charged you can protest the charge. Do it quick.

TonyKarp

Bearcat
Hotels are a nightmare. My family and I booked a week in Connecticut with Hilton. The “Pandemic” came and we canceled They refused to refund the 3 days we paid upfront. Hotels unfortunately have you by the Shorthairs.

Are you sure you were on the Hilton.com website and not a website that maybe a ghost site?

Hilton is a very reputable brand, i am a Diamond member of Hilton and book hotel rooms all the time on their site with zero issues regarding what you mention….maybe a glitch or another issue I suppose.
I am too, and I've never had a problem with reservations. There is a ghost site out there got hooked up with by phone, from a number from the I-pad one while on the road. Best way to deal with them directly 1-800-Hampton

jimd441

Blackhawk
Glad to know about the bogus site. I too am a Diamond member and must have been lucky to have never ended up there.

Jim

Dan in MI

Staff member

I am a gold member (burn points a much as I obtain them) and used the same site I have always used. I got the usual emails after booking. Now you have me thinking ... I'll go and look at my HH account and see what is noted.

---edit - everything looks normal. I got the confirmation from Hilton. On the phone he said the cancellation will take a day or so to show up in my email. I also got a survey request and all the usual. BUT, because you got me nervous I called again (different number this time Hilton Honors) and confirmed it has been cancelled. I really think their website has a glitch.

Last edited:

Mobuck

Hawkeye
I seldom make reservations. When my agency has regional meetings, we book THE ENTIRE HOTEL (well, most of it anyway) and I assume either get a decent rate discount or a serious rate hike to reflect taking the hotel out of business for a week.
Son's been using the same motel/hotel chain for about 10 years and has a bajillion 'points' accumulated. He set us up with a couple of rooms for an overnight on our New Mexico trip. He was booking and talking to me but later, it hit me that he said he had rooms in Garden City when we were actually passing through DODGE City. I called him back and sure enough, he'd booked in the wrong town. Since it had only been an hour, it wasn't a big deal to correct but later maybe so a big deal.

RSIno1

Hunter
When you do a hotel room search you get the company that paid google the most to be on top. It'll be some service that brokers rooms for cost by guaranteeing the hotel they'll book x # of rooms per year for them. They have their own set of rules and the rate you checked wasn't good for the dates you wanted so it booked your room on the days it was valid.
We booked one time and I cancelled with the hotel. The "service" tried to charge me for a night since we didn't cancel through them. The hotel had to intervene proving I had cancelled over 24 hours in advance to get me a refund.
I've learned going to the companies main site is the best way. If you are going with a group that has a block of rooms booked with a discount code call the hotel directly and never forget your confirmation email/number.

RSIno1

Hunter
.... using the same motel/hotel chain for about 10 years and has a bajillion 'points' accumulated. He set us up with a couple of rooms for an overnight ......
Points are a good thing. A friend worked for a PR company. He traveled 200+ days a year. His contract called for 1st class air and 5 star hotels. He had enough points he took 6 of us to Hawaii. We flew first class and stayed at the Marriott Beach Club. Now I can say been there done that - zero desire to return.

Latest posts