Scale Question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

NC-P95

Bearcat
I've been thinking of getting into reloading, just a simple operation, just to load my .40's and my wife's 9mm...

After reading many posts I'm starting to get an idea of the equipment that I'll need, and I always see where people say "get a good set of scales"... When I begin buying my equipment, I just don't want to buy a set of scales that aren't as good as a set that I've already got...

At any rate, I've got a set of Ohaus Scout Pro SP2001. They don't weigh grains, but many other units. I suppose my quesiton would be: Can I use these scales for reloading?

Here is a brochure for the set that I've got: http://www.1-800-scales.com/Pdf/O-ScoutPro.pdf

Thanks in advance.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
edit for content: If the scale is accurate to + or - one tenth grain you are good to go. As with all electronic scales a couple of check weights are required to maintain accuracy. :D

...Jimbo

GP100man

Buckeye
most other units of measurement built into the scales don`t go low enuff to weigh .1grain

The page for your scales won`t load for me on this backwoods dial up but that`s what ive run into with even ohaus triple beams .

slippingaway

Blackhawk
According to the pdf you linked, your 2001 is only accurate to .1grams, which is 1.54 grains. There's no way it would work.

Buy an RCBS 5-0-5 mechanical scale, it's all you'll ever need.

revhigh

Hawkeye
slippingaway":138wnksj said:
According to the pdf you linked, your 2001 is only accurate to .1grams, which is 1.54 grains. There's no way it would work.

Buy an RCBS 5-0-5 mechanical scale, it's all you'll ever need.

Totally agreed ... forget the electronic ones ... gravity never fails.

REV

Cary

Single-Sixer
Dillon makes a good balance beam scale as well. I bought one several years ago and have been very happy with it. It is all metal and they told me it has their lifetime warranty on it as well. For the quality of the scale the price is good as well. Here is a link to the scale on the Dillon site.
http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/conten ... 039__Scale
Cary

NC-P95

Bearcat
Thanks guys!

So if I buy the Kempf Kit w/ Lee Classic Turret Press, along with the scales you have recommended, I should be good to go... Of course I'll have to buy an extra set of dies to do the 9mm, if I order the dies with the kit to do the .40's, correct?

Thanks!

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
tek4260":dkmy227c said:
Why does everyone recommend the RCBS 505 when there is the RCBS 1010?

Hi,

Never used a 10-10, but I have an old 5-10 in the closet, and a 5-0-5 on the bench. Assuming the 10-10 works like the 5-10, ease of use favors the 5-0-5!

In answer to the OP, get the 5-0-5 for "critical" work first, add a cheapo $30 or so digital for "quickie" work (like matching a bunch of bullets or ????) when you like, and a set of check weights ($25-$30) to check each.

As suggested, if gravity quits, we have bigger problems than whether our scales work, so the balance beam is your best choice for long term durability and reliability. Digital scales are like digital answers to a lot of questions: you've gotta feed 'em batteries or wall power, they do weird stuff sometimes "just cuz" and you're not gonna see many folks here 25-50 yrs down the road telling how "My XYZ digital's still going strong" like you do the 5-0-5s!

And just a note on the balance beams: virtually all of them are made by Ohaus, so if you find a brand/model you like better than the RCBS 5-0-5 offering, don't be afraid to go that way.

Rick C

Sonnytoo

Blackhawk
revhigh":1rtaz894 said:
Totally agreed ... forget the electronic ones ... gravity never fails.
REV

Yes sir, you are right as far as you go, but you haven't gone far enough.
I have used my Ohaus 505 for 40-50 years and it still works fine.
However, once I decided to buy a digital, I bought the RCBS RangeMaster 750 and I'll never go back.
It is SO MUCH QUICKER. And with the 10 grain and the 20 grain check weights that I bought (cheap), I do not worry about accuracy.
The Ohaus just sits there and cries.
Sonnytoo

bearing01

Bearcat
NC-P95":rni0oau2 said:
Thanks guys!

So if I buy the Kempf Kit w/ Lee Classic Turret Press, along with the scales you have recommended, I should be good to go... Of course I'll have to buy an extra set of dies to do the 9mm, if I order the dies with the kit to do the .40's, correct?

Thanks!

Buy the Turret Press starter kit. It comes with the Lee scale. I've used this scale for thousands of rounds with no problem. I've been thinking of getting a nice digital scale, but would rather invest the money in other reloading tools. If you question the accuracy of the scale, buy a set of standard weights for the scale to make sure the scale is setup accurately.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?p ... ber=493216

NC-P95

Bearcat
bearing01":2ud6vqf8 said:
NC-P95":2ud6vqf8 said:
Thanks guys!

Thanks!

Buy the Turret Press starter kit. It comes with the Lee scale. I've used this scale for thousands of rounds with no problem. I've been thinking of getting a nice digital scale, but would rather invest the money in other reloading tools. If you question the accuracy of the scale, buy a set of standard weights for the scale to make sure the scale is setup accurately.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?p ... ber=493216

So you are talking about buying a kit like this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/Lee-Deluxe-Turret-P ... 27acc678a9

Then buy the dies that I need, correct?

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
I like quality of the components in the RCBS starter kit, but I really like my Lee Turret press. If I were starting over again this would be a hard choice for me. The RCBS starter kit is a great deal. If you bought everything in it separately it would be $150 or so more than the kit.

-- Sam