SC CWP, what a trial.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

So, I got my S.C. concealed weapons permit back in 2005 and you have to renew every 5 years.... it has always been that you could not apply for renewal until you were 90 days due and then they usually took pretty close to 90 days to process and mail you your new card. For the last two times at least I've applied on line and now you don't even have to pay. So, I expire this year on Oct. 10th and I go on line on July 11th and apply for renewal.... then I discover you can now apply 120 days out. First week of October comes around and I realize I have not gotten my new card. I go online and try to navigate their system the weekend of the 8th and no deal... I call I think I'm told by the automatic system I'm the 15th person in the cue..... so I end up sending an email... asking about my renewal as well as if there is a grace period. I put all my information in the email. Oh and to add to this saga... wife and I are headed out of town that weekend for three weeks. I get a reply on the 10th that "it takes 90 days to process a renewal". that's all the guy at SLED says (S.C. Law Enforcement Division) Nothing about a grace period. I figure I'll get the new permit when we get home.... day after we get home I realize then there was no card ...... So I send the guy who emailed me from SLED a follow up email asking what the deal is.... of course I have all kinds of paranoid thoughts.... he replies asking for my 'contact number'. I email him my cell phone number and then go on line... I actually can access the system this time and fill out the whole on line thing again applying for a renewal.... this is in Oct. 31st... I get a reply the next day from him that my second attempt worked and was processed on the 25th and new card would be in the mail this week. Huh? My Second attempt was on the 31st. But I figure I best leave well enough alone and just wait it out... finally, today my new card arrived. That's the good news.... the bad news is I can now once again buy guns from an FFL. The hypocrisy is if an FFL called in a back ground check on me I would be denied... but there is no back ground check here in S.C. with a concealed weapons permit.

buckaroo

Banned
What a mess uh. It's all design to make it as cumbersome as they can because they really don't want people carrying guns. I'm in a State you would never think it would be so difficult and yet it's hoop-d-loop.
5 copies downloaded from the State and all have to be notarized, take a firearms class and two separate fees to the State and the county you live in. One only takes cash or money orders the other one takes anything. After fingerprints at the county jail you have five days to get your picture taken at the DMV. Good for five years and no notification given for renewal, and repeat the same process all over again.

I have hand delivered my paperwork each time. The permits are issued by the county sheriff so the bureaucracy isn't aa bad as dealing with a state agency. I'm coming up for renewal next year so hopefully I can still avoid dealing with online applications.

I think I figure it out... up to 90 days to process.... 90 'work' days... I'm going to run the numbers... only took them 80 or 81 depending on if Labor Day is considered. I guess I'll be better prepared in 5 years.....

black1970

Blackhawk
Back when Tennessee first started CCW the county sheriff had to sign off and the serial number of the weapon that you would carry was recorded at the courthouse. Didn't want one. Not too long after that the TN Firearms group got the law changed. Highway patrol issued the permit after 8 hours instruction and range qualification. Long story short now if you want to you can strap one on open or concealed. Might as well because all the bad guys are carrying anyway.
Move to Tennessee!

BuckRimfire

Bearcat
For now, Washington has it good. Forms, fee, fingerprints and that's it. IIRC they are supposed to have up to a month to process them, but even in Seattle my original, my renewal and my wife's original card were all sent out within 2 weeks of filing. I guess the Seattle PD figures they have better things to do than try to stall on the inevitably and field a bunch of follow-up calls.

However, every year that goes by, it amazes me that the legislature or a ballot initiative doesn't either eliminate CCW or add a bunch of extra requirements to the process. I'll enjoy it while I can...

Our illustrious leaders screwed the pooch recently here... you would think it would be a good thing... they decided that if you have a CWP then you can open carry.... I've yet to see anyone doing this.... but they then re-wrote so much other stuff I can't even figure most of it out.

Just speculating, I presume with every renewal they do a basic background check to see if one has been convicted of any crime that would stop one from owning a gun since their last renewal, if they do that with me they get a denial... then somebody will have to go and look at my original application from 2005 and see that what I was convicted of back in '78 is no longer a felony, os only a simple non violent misdemeanor in S.C. . In fact it is legal in about 18 or 20 states now... not that that matters to the FBI... I'm still it seems according to them a danger to society....

As a side note, when my wife and I did the frequent flyer TSA easy check thing... she got her's in less than a week I think mine took something like 6 weeks... then when we renewed it was kind of the same.

Oh here is a real joke... I have a friend that works as tech support for the software company that creates and maintains the background system for most law enforcement agencies in the country.... they wanted him to fly out to California to help with some big police agency... when the agency did the back ground check on him ... he got denied... could not 'technically' work for them directly.

Last edited:
I'm not sure of today's regs but last time I renewed, it was walk in, chat with Sheriff for few minutes, write the county a check, and leave with the renewal. The time before I was in the middle of this process with a Deputy and some sort of fracas began in the 3rd floor court room. Deputy said "Hey watch the office and I'll be back as soon as I can". Different world out here in the sticks.

One of the best thing about having a S.C. CWP is there is no back ground check while transferring or buying a gun (long or short) at an FFL.
Which I am going to use in a few hours....

Edit: I'm back... FFL was not that busy... I walked in as the last of the 'Black Friday folks' had left... they still had to find the pistol since it came in this morning and they had not had time to check ..... 15 minutes in and out... Just another Sig P239. this one came in 40 cal but I've already converted it to 357 sig with a stainless steel slide.

Pps1980

Single-Sixer
I feel for you folks. Georgia used to be like that but is really great now. Our state 2A organization has worked for many years to put limits on government functionaries so they must do their sworn duty within a limited amount of time. Counties that consistently miss their statutory deadlines gets sued , including recalcitrant judges. It's really made the system much more efficient and responsive. Got my last renewal via mail in 8 days.

Last edited: