SBH transfer bar question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Jayhawkhuntclub

Buckeye
How much of the rear portion of the firing pin is covered by the transfer bar when your SBH breaks (ie hammer drops when slowly pulling trigger)? I'd say it's only about 35-40% on mine.

flatgate

Hawkeye
I agree, the vertical movement of the transfer bar is "lacking", especially if one removes the "creep" in the trigger mechanism. Sorting through a "bin" full of transfer bars can result in a few "longer than normal" specimens .......

:D

flatgate

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I had questions when I noticed that a couple of my Rugers had only about 50% of the firing pin covered by the transfer bar but so far no problems. :D

...Jimbo

Jayhawkhuntclub

Buckeye
Is there any reason to be concerned? I assume that all is fine as long as enough contact is made to force the firing pin ahead. Am I missing something? Thanks.

contender

Ruger Guru
I wondered about that many years ago. However, I do this; Take your NM and make sure it's empty. Next, cock the hammer. Look at the amount of firing pin coverage by the transfer bar. usually from 35% to 60% from the ones I have. Next, hold the hammer back and pull the trigger and watch the transfer bar. It rises up more when the trigger is pulled.
I just checked my 2 Lipsey's 44's and my Accusport 45 convertable. All 3 did exactly this same thing.
Basically, don't worry as there is more contact than you think.

Jayhawkhuntclub

Buckeye
I have removed ALL the creep from this trigger. It is crazy nice. So when you have it cocked the transfer bar covers maybe 40% of the back of the firing pin. But when the trigger breaks it hasn't moved much (maybe 41% coverage). If I continue to pull the trigger all the way back (after it has went off) it will cover the entire pin. I have never fired the gun (brand new) and may not get a chance to fire it for another week or two. I'm not really worried, but I've been wrong before. Thanks for all the replies.