SBH ,need taller front sight

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
I have three new Super BH SS revolvers. One 4 5/8" and two in 3 3/4".
I love these revolvers and they shoot some great groups with selected cast bullet loads.

My problem is With some loads I am shooting 3" high at 30' with the rear sight adjusted all the way down. This is with a target load,200 to 250gr. @ 750-850 fps.
Lipsey`s web site says that their .45 flat tops have extra tall front sights to accommodate us cast bullet guys. ( Good on them!! )

Anyone here know the Ruger part # for a taller than standard front sight that I could replace mine with? I could make them but if there is a factory part available I would rather just go that way.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Chuck

I do not think there is a Ruger part number for a taller front sight for the Super Blackhawk, as the 'standard' is the 7 1/2 inch, and comes as part of the barrel (soldered on) and the newer one has the shorter 5.5 inch barrel,,,,look at that ones "part number:' as it would be the tallest...the shorter the barrle the taller you have to make it ,with it having adjustable rear...........same always held true for the 32 H&R mags Single Six ones, the short barrel version was the tallest.......my bet would be to get the ones (type) that you can replace the front blade, like the ones from Brownells or the custom guys..........OR have a shop ( machinist/gunsmith) remove the blade on yours, cut a key way ( slot) and install a piece of 1/8th"Starrett stock and start to remove off the top of the blade to regulate it in for YOUR loads.........

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
Mine have the replaceable blades. (pined in)
Right after I posted this request I went on Midway USA and looked at the Ruger sights they show and one, the .45 Colt sight , has customer reviews that say the buyer bought the sight with the exact thing in mind that I do and it cured his high shooting situation.
The Midway # is 516494 and Ruger # is MR03611 Midway is BO on these. :x
No dimensions are given but two guys said installing this sight blade allowed them to zero their .44 mag`s that were shooting high just like mine.
I will be calling Ruger in the morning to get a couple coming.
Thanks for your help. Chuck

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
Thanks guys, I am a retired machinist and have a pretty well equipped shop with
Lathe and milling machine, drill press etc. I have precision ground flat stock on hand and could make the sight no problem. Just have too many such projects in line now.
Thanks for the reply's fellers. :wink:
Click on the picture.

Powderblast

Bearcat
I have same problem with a 44 SBH 5.5 barrel. I need to order the
taller front sight as well. I have looked up the info on Brownells, here are the numbers if you want to get it from Brownells if
the sight you want is listed. If you call them be sure and double check the numbers with them if you order. As was stated
above, these blades are solid and must be drilled for the tiny roll pin that holds them in place.

For Ruger Blackhawk

.365 high front sight black - $6.99
780-012-038
MR03600

.440 high front sight black - $7.99
780-001-230
MR03611

.595 high front sight black - $10.99
780-012-047
MR03645

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
Powderblast , WOW,, Thanks. I did not think to look at Brownells although I have dealt with them for many years.
What do they say about not seeing the trees for the forest??
Thanks

fltrainer

Bearcat
Chuck, you can build up the post with some JB Weld. Drill a couple of small holes in the post, the holes will give it more stability once the JB cures. Then you can dress it down a little at a time to the height it needs to be for the type of heads you're using.... very easy. 8)

Or you can check out the thread by tek4260 titled "5.125" 44SBH and 310 grainers" in this section "Ruger Revolvers" and you can build up the FS like tek did.... your choice....Carl

Save the money to buy bullets! :wink:

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
Thanks guys, I have 3 coming from Ruger so we will see how they work out and I will report results later for those who may run into this situation.

I have built up sights and made test sights out of plastic or wood to determine heights needed but I want to maintain the factory look and not spend a bunch of time doing it.
Thanks again, Chuck

stevemb

Hunter
I've had the same problem with my SBH, blued. Wish they'd use the pinned assembly the SS come with ! Lots of trouble would be saved. Have considered doing some grinding to get the rear sight to sit lower in the frame. Maybe, just maybe. stevemb

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
Just a side note for those interested.
Once a load is decided on, sight corrections can be figured out mathematically and it really is quite simple.

Divide the distance to the target by the sight radius.(distance from front to rear sight)
Example= 25 yd.= 900" sight radius (lets say) 6" = 900 div.by 6 = 150
Say you are off by 3" (3.000")@25yd.
3.000 divided by 150= .020" the sight needs to be moved .020" to correct error.

When I build muzzle loading long rifles I install an extra tall front and head to the range. after I decide on the most accurate load I can use the above formula to know exactly how much to shorten the front sight.
A pair of calipers and a file and the next shot from the rifle will be right on.
Here is one I made.
22aCustomSHawken54calMLnosn.jpg

Here is one of the SBH`s that I am going to switch the sight blades on.
IMG_1242.jpg

Have fun!! :wink:

flatgate

Hawkeye
Having Factory Installed "removable" front sight blades sure makes it easier. Quite a few years ago I sent a beater ol' Super Blackhawk to Ruger for some minor work and a refinish. I requested a taller front sight assembly and a shorter barrel. All using "current production" parts.
12401192.jpg

Shortly thereafter I installed some "bling" items. Note that I'd filed down the front sight blade a wee bit, as well.

flatgate

I have 2 SBH with the same problem. Called Ruger for taller replacement blades, and they sent 1 Hunter sight! It is incompatible with the SBH system. I am not home now nor am I mechanically inclined. As common as this problem seems why don't they make it easier to get higher blades and to change them?
gramps

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
Flatgate, That is SWEET. Sure love those SBH`s!

gramps , according to a couple guys that wrote feedback to Midway USA the
BH .45 Colt front sights are drop in and give the added height needed. The pin hole has to be drilled though. No biggie there!

tek4260

Buckeye
flatgate said:
Having Factory Installed "removable" front sight blades sure makes it easier. Quite a few years ago I sent a beater ol' Super Blackhawk to Ruger for some minor work and a refinish. I requested a taller front sight assembly and a shorter barrel. All using "current production" parts.
12401192.jpg

Shortly thereafter I installed some "bling" items. Note that I'd filed down the front sight blade a wee bit, as well.

flatgate

So after all these years looking at that revolver, I have to ask about the hammer. Is it a home grown Super hammer?

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
Ruger is lightning fast with parts orders.
I called them and ordered the front sights on the 12th. and they arrived today the
15th.
No time to do any measuring today but they look to be about 1/8" taller than the
ones that came on the SBH`s.
Should be just right.
I ordered Ruger part no. MR03611, (front sight blade,Ruger BH .45 Colt)
Will report results later. :wink:

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
I installed those sights this morning.
They measure .095" taller than the OEM sight.
That should be just perfect for my loads.
I will also be shooting some Lyman 429650
300 gr. loads at moderate velocity's.
Results will be reported after the holidays.
Have a wonderful holiday season. :D :D :D

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
Thank you!! I have built several of them,mostly flint long rifles.
That late style slant breech Hawken .54 cal. is very accurate.
Three shot cloverleafs at 50yd. is the norm.

flatgate

Hawkeye
tek4260 said:
So after all these years looking at that revolver, I have to ask about the hammer. Is it a home grown Super hammer?

It was on a "shooter" I purchased at a gun show someplace in Wyoming. I stripped the gun of any/all salvageable parts then sent it to the Factory for a barrel change and a really tall front sight. Then I reinstalled the "homeboy" hammer and a QPR brass XR3-RED grip frame and some of Lett's nice walnuts.

flatgate

Latest posts