SBH has screws. Loctite?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GoFullAuto

Bearcat
Hi everybody :)

I think I need some advice from your experience.
I'm starting my learning curve with my very first SA revolver, the SBH you see here:

DSCN1703.jpg

3 rounds down low were to test point of impact vs. point of aim. The others were plain flinching :roll:
The rest is about as good as I can shoot, offhand, 25 meters, factory .44 maggie 240-grainers from Sellier & Bellot :wink:

Now, the issue:

before this shooting, I had tightened all the screws of this SBH.
After this shooting (a total of 50 booms, standard - performance magnums) all screws came back home loosened again!!! :shock: :shock:

Question: is this normal? Or should I try to "fix" them in place with some loctite or similar? Any tips or mistakes I might fall into?

Thanks a lot in advance! :wink:

By
GfA

Quarterbore

Blackhawk
Yea, you want to loctite. Get a tube of the blue and a small drop on the threads will solve the problem and still allow you to take the gun apart again later.

BigJ71

Single-Sixer
I agree with Quarterbore....If they stay put I leave them be but if they start to work there way loose I blue loctite them.

I believe Ruger put some kind of loctite on some of there revolvers because I have a couple Vaqueros from the mid 90's that have something on the treads, these guns were purchased new so they were never taken apart (other than by me). After many many rounds those screws have never budged ever after I removed them and put them back in again.

Good luck with your SBH and your shooting looks fine to me. I'd be happy with that at 25 meters off hand.

flatgate

Hawkeye
Ruger's revolver screws have been treated with "thread locker" for years and years.

New screws are cheap, however I realize you are a few miles east of their Factory!

One other trick that does indeed work. Monofilament fishing line, in 20# test or so, works quite well. Cut a piece long enough so you can hold one end down in a screw hole and get the screw started with your other hand. Tighten as usual, with a Well Fitting Screwdriver, then use a match or lighter to burn off the excess.

It's the Poor Boy's Locktite and it's never a problem to remove.

flatgate

flatgate

Hawkeye
Hey, I've been to Italy. I skied at Courmayeur one time, back in the 1980's...Monte Blanco was Amazing!

I had a wonderful time!

flatgate