SBH hammer on a 44 Spl Flattop

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jforwel

Bearcat
I am sure this question has been asked but I could not find it in the search funtion. I have compared the factory flattop hammer to the SBH hammer and the SBH hammer is taller at the nose with all else appearing equal.

Other than the top being filed down, will the SBH hammer work in the 44 Special? And I suppose this would also apply to the 50th Anniversary .357 model as well.

Aggie01

Blackhawk
You don't even have to file the top down.
The .41 has a great view of how much clearance you have.

.44 Special:
DSCN0725-1.jpg

.357 Anniversary converted to .41
DSCN0867.jpg

tek4260

Buckeye
There is a difference in thickness of the transfer bar of the newer revolvers. You may have to remove a bit from the second step of the hammer(part that contacts transfer bar), to keep from getting hammer pinch. In all honesty, you will never notice it unless you have really light trigger return springs and heavier than factory hammer springs. With that combo, my trigger wouldn't reset until I started to pull the hammer back for the next shot. I honestly didn't notice it until the loading gate wouldn't open after the last shot due to the trigger being all the way to the rear.

jforwel

Bearcat
Thanks for the replies and pics. I'll be ordering a couple of hammers from Brownells shortly.