SBH grips round TG vs Square

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Asltrfl

Bearcat
Now I'm finding conflicting info on NM super blackhawk grips. Some threads say square and round trigger guards both interchange as long as the round is the stainless hunter barreled (7.5"+) nmsbh hunter. But I'm finding grips that say sbh "square trigger guard only". I know the NM SBH 4-3/4" and 5.5" are the small plow (xrn-3red). And I believe the stainless hunter (which I need) are the KHRN-3. Is there a difference between NM "standard" long bbl SBH's square TG, and the round trigger guard "hunter" models, as far as the wooden grips are concerned? Thanks1

hittman

Staff member
See the Collecting section for a sticky thread Single Action Grip Frames Explained. If it's up to date it may help you.

Asltrfl

Bearcat
I've read through the whole grip frames explained thing a dozen times. Now its time to just let go. Bill and Carey have explained it perfectly and simply enough. I have seen the light and tossed all the confusing numbers away. I have 1 of the 3 grips, and its the big ones that stick out of the 3" square box. Who cares if the trigger guard is square or round or an obtuse triangle. My grips are hiding behind door #3 and that's that. Its people posting grips for sale with secret code numbers and unicorn horn materials that confuse even the best Navaho code talkers. Thanks again Gentlemen, and I will, in the future, attempt to control my anxiety and my ADD before posting redundant questions.

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
And, welcome to the confusing fun of collecting Rugers & trying to figure out all the differences in their stuff. Heck, even folks at Ruger get confused easily. If it's not new, current, or in a recent catalog,,, often when someone calls them, they get wrong info from the factory.
Throw in the markings on some grip frames,, as well as some frames not even marked,,, along with model info,,, and confusion can set in, allowing a lot of hairpulling, cursing, and in general, downright anger.
Luckily, we do have solutions.
As a wise one here often says; "Get the books & read them." But, not everybody wants to spend a lot on a library for just one gun. So, we have this Forum. When questions are asked,,, we will always TRY hard to help. Just as long as we have good info supplied concerning the questions.

So, hopefully, you have your grip questions answered,,, and are well on your way to enjoying your gun!

Asltrfl

Bearcat
Thank you Contender. Like you said, read and re-read, and most will understand. And there are no dumb questions, until you ask the same one 3 times in a row :). Thank you all again for helping the novice, those that fear the screwdriver, and the masses educated by our public school system. We do appreciate it.

hittman

Staff member
Asltrfl said:
.... redundant questions.

They're only redundant to the folks who already know the answer.
Most of us remember when we were just learning and try to gently sway new folks to the right thread or get them to buy the books or RENE subscriptions that hold many of their answers.

The best most used resources I have are RENE, Ruger and His Guns and the Standard Catalog of Smith and Wesson (SCSW)!

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Unfortunately there are no books that totally explain the different GF actual usage or the grip frame 'alphabet soup' so in frustration I put together these two charts:

1.) COMPLETE OLD & NEW MODEL REGULAR PRODUCTION USAGE INCLUDING SIZE, OF BLUE STEEL GRIP FRAME VS. ALUMINUM ALLOY, and USAGE OF STEEL VS. ALUM EJECTOR ROD HOUSING: (updated as of 2018)

Note: Ruger refers to their blue steel grip frames as alloy steel in their catalog, meaning Chrome Molybdenum (Chromoly) as opposed to alum alloy and the stainless steel grip frames.

Blue steel GFs* on the following models:

All New Model Flat Top Blackhawk mid and large size cylinder frames, XR3 size (also cut for indexing pawl system, no extensions into main frame & only 7/16" thick).
All New Vaquero mid & large size cylinder frames, XR3 size (also cut for indexing pawl system, no extensions into main frame & only 7/16" thick).
All original large cyl frame Vaqueros, XR3-RED size.
All Super BHs Old and New models, XR3-RED size on short brl. lengths; Dragoon frames on 7 1/2" & 10" barrel models.
All .32 Mag Vaq. style single sixes, both sizes: SHORT grip & XR3-RED size.
Old Army beginning 1985, XR3-RED size, # XRN-3, OM style but with wide trigger slot.
All Bisley and Birdshead grip frames.
All "Super" Bearcat old models introduced in 1971, have steel frames.
All New Model Bearcats introduced in 1993, have steel frames.

Aluminum alloy grip frames on the following models:

All blue Super Single Sixes 22 and 32, XRE-RED size.
All large size cyl frame NON-flat top Blackhawks, XR3-RED size.
All Old Models, # XR3, pre 1963.
All Old Models 1963 to 1973, # XR3-RED, including Hawkeye single shot.
Old Army # XR3-RED, pre 1985.
All Old Model Bearcats prior to the Super Bearcats have alum alloy frames.

Steel ERH* on the following models:

All pre c. 1962 Old Models including Bearcats; New Model Super BHs since c. 1999 in all barrel lengths (including 5" ERH on 44 & 357 Max 10" barrel).
Original Vaquero large frames post c. 1999.
All New Vaqueros.
All .32 Single Six 'Vaqueritos'.
All New Model Flat Top Blackhawks.

Alloy ERH on the following models:

All Old Models with alloy grip frames post 1962.
Old Model and NM Super BHs post c. 1962 and pre c. 1999.
Original large frame Vaqueros pre c. 1999.
Old Model Bearcats post 1962.
All "Super" Bearcat Old Models introduced in 1971.
All New Model Bearcats introduced in 1993.
The early stainless New Model Bearcats have alloy silver anodized ERHs, only very recently changed to stainless steel ERHs.

*NOTE: There are several distributor exclusive, non-regular production model exceptions to the above such as the Buckeye Blackhawk convertibles that have steel GFs and ERHs, etc. Hondo44

2.) GRIP FRAME MARKINGS
The markings on grip frames are not part numbers. They are Ruger's "Founder's marks" so they know what size they are and if carbon or stainless steel or alum alloy, after dropping from the moulds.

In my list below you'll see that # XR3 and XR3-RED are only OM #s. There are no NM frames with those numbers. There's an XR-3 (with the dash) which is a different size. And many different versions of the XR3-RED #.

All GRIP FRAME MATERIAL & IDENTIFICATION NUMBERS (Founder's Marks) CAST ON GRIP FRAMES (N/A to Bearcat)
Notes:
Most all grip frames are 1/2" thick unless otherwise noted below.
For convenience, NM frames in the two most common sizes are often referred to by their old model #s as XR3 'SIZE' or XR3-RED 'SIZE' but they have their own Casting numbers.

NM BLUE: STEEL and ALLOY GFs:
Small steel (OM #XR3 size) 1/8" closer to trigger guard than XR3-RED size, (cut for indexing pawl system, no extensions into main frame & only 7/16" thick) = A (in a square), no other marking observed; w & w/o lock. New Vaq w/o lock has a 512 prefix serial #, locks discontinued in 2012
Large steel (OM #XR3-RED size): Early = A in a square, XR-3 (that's XR dash 3); Late = A in circle XR-3, 1 in circle
Large alloy (OM #XR3-RED size) w/o lock: Early = NXR3-RED, Late = XRN-3RED. With lock = XR & L, locks discontinued in 2012
Short steel 'Vaquerito' .32s (3/16" shorter in length than the XR3 and XR3-RED sizes) = A (in a square) XR-3. If ordered as a separate part = 302 A (in a square)
SBH = No marking on Dragoon frames (1/4" longer than standard grip). Large round guard steel frames supplied on all barrel lengths less than 7 ½" (Old Model #XR3-RED size) = same as Large steel above marking.
Birdshead** steel = # in circle, MR00307, A in circle
Bisley** steel grip frames come in only one size that fit all Ruger new models.

NM STAINLESS GFs:
Small, (XR3 size) 1/8" shorter horizontally behind the trigger guard (cut for indexing pawl system, no extensions into main frame & only 7/16" thick = K (in circle); w & w/o lock
Large (OM #XR3-RED size): Earliest = KXR-3*, Next = KXR-3 with a separate N, Late = K (in circle) XRN-3, most current = no markings
Short 'Vaquerito' .32s (3/16" shorter in length than the XR3 and XR3-RED sizes) = KXR-3* and K in circle 302 T in circle
SBH Hunter = KHRN 3 (Dragoon length but with a round trigger guard)
SBH = No marking on Dragoon frames (1/4" longer than standard grip). Large round guard steel frames supplied on all barrel lengths less than 7 ½" (Old Model #XR3-RED size) = same as Large above marking
Birdshead** = # K in circle, MR00307
Bisley** steel grip frames come in only one size that fit all Ruger new models.

OM BLUE STEEL and ALLOY:
Small alloy = XR3, original style to 1962, 1/8" closer to trigger guard than large size
Large alloy = XR3-RED, (part # SS3), new style in 1962 to 1972, also used on Pre 1985 Old Army - alloy w/narrow trig slot, and on Hawkeye - alloy w/wide trigger slot
SBH = steel dragoon, sq back trigger guard (1/4" longer than standard grip) no marking; Early 'long frame' 5/32" longer than later dragoon marked with C (only ~300 made)
Old Army steel (OM XR3-RED size) = XRN-3 beginning 1985 with wide trigger slot and is the only OM GF in carbon steel other than the SBH.

STAINLESS OM - Old Army only:
Large (OM XR3-RED size) = KXR-3*

*Note: same # KXR-3 used on two different frames: earliest NM SS XR3-RED size and OM SS Old Army XR3-RED size, because based on how they are machined, they can be used for either application.
**Birdsheads and Bisleys supplied on New Vaqueros are cut for free spin pawl system and have no extensions into main frame, but are interchangeable to all models.

SUPER BH MODEL S-47 GRIP FRAMES:
Standard Dragoon GF = overall height – 3 1/4" No casting mark.
Long Frame Dragoon GF (OM only) = overall height – 3 7/16" No casting mark but C stamped on back of grips.
Brass Frame "Dragoon" style with square back trigger guard (OM only) = Marked "MR-3DB." Same dimensions as 1959 Super Blackhawk. Initially for Super Blackhawks only, then shipped on various Blackhawks, the majority in 1972. Hondo44

I hope these help,
Jim

Armybrat

Buckeye
I swapped out the short, rounded trigger guard grip frame from my 5.5" SBH to the longer Hunter grip frame with round trigger guard. a couple of years ago.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Yeah me too. And more recently this .45 Colt 5 1/2" original Large frame Vaquero with SBH Hunter grip frame and extra long 5" ejector rod:

Old SBH stags fitted to a SBH Hunter SS grip frame and polished. Montado hammer, 5 1/2" barrel with 5" ejector rod for full extraction of those long 45 C cases, with 45 ACP convertible cyl. Nothing too special, just all factory parts. Balances nicely in the hand. Formerly had the 3 ¾" barrel.

medium800.jpg

Armybrat

Buckeye
Hondo44 said:
. Nothing too special, just all factory parts.
I beg to differ, that is a beautiful one of a kind!

Gave mine to one of my sons as a trail gun when he takes his two boys camping & hiking in New Mexico & Colorado.

789_BA56_D_8_DBD_4_F86_9171_79_BFC79_DAF47.jpg

bigskyguy

Single-Sixer
Asltrfl said:
Thank you Contender. Like you said, read and re-read, and most will understand. And there are no dumb questions, until you ask the same one 3 times in a row :). Thank you all again for helping the novice, those that fear the screwdriver, and the masses educated by our public school system. We do appreciate it.

Classic!

Hondo44 said:
Yeah me too. And more recently this .45 Colt 5 1/2" original Large frame Vaquero with SBH Hunter grip frame and extra long 5" ejector rod:

Old SBH stags fitted to a SBH Hunter SS grip frame and polished. Montado hammer, 5 1/2" barrel with 5" ejector rod for full extraction of those long 45 C cases, with 45 ACP convertible cyl. Nothing too special, just all factory parts. Balances nicely in the hand. Formerly had the 3 ¾" barrel.

medium800.jpg

My goodness that is beautiful.