SBH Grip Frame Interchangeability with NM Blackhawks

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ChuckS1

Bearcat
Is it possible to swap the SBH steel dragoon-style grip frame (part number MR00300) to replace the aluminum XR3-RED grip from from a New Model Blackhawk or Single Six? I'm wondering if this would be a simple replacment or if there was additional work needed.

I was talking to the Ruger parts department and they're saying the the XR00300 is no longer available as a replacement part.

Thanks.

They will swap, but you may not get an absolutely PERFECT fit.

OM to OM works well, as does NM to NM.

A NM grip frame can be used on an OM gun with the addition of a little adapter block to provide for the OM's trigger-return spring/plunger.

:)

Wireman134

Bearcat
Did it, fit fine but a little mis matched. Newer NM SBH Dragoon frames are said to have the taller ears to match the later larger NM frame. My alloy frame had the shorter ears of the earlier NM Blackhawk. This one I scored off Gunbroker for $56 shipped it's like new off of a "Liberty" SBH so it has the shorter ears. Not a problem for me. Some day I'll find A Tig welder to pad those ears and fit perfect.

SBHside.jpg

SBHframe.jpg

flatgate

Hawkeye
I've use MIG over the years since that's all I've had access to.

85490282.jpg

Dinky image, but this OM 10" .44 is fitted with "welded on" NM Super grip frame and a, gulp, NM Bisley Hammer. I'll never again deal with adapting a NM hammer to a OM. It's much easier to acquire a OM Single-Six hammer (and even weld up and recut those pesky broken notches) and chop off the hammer top and weld on a NM Bisley or NM Super hammer top.

52725340.jpg

Above image shows a early .357 Flattop with a "grafted on" NM Bisley hammer spur. The cylinder is chambered in .44 Special so I need to get my .44 barrel fitted....... so many projects/so little time. :D

Just My Humble opinion,

flatgate

ChuckS1

Bearcat
Well, let me ask a followup question to you guys. I saw an XRN-RED3 frame today that was said to be factory-new, but it doesn't look at all like my Single Six aluminum frame. Where my older frame is anodized, this one looks painted. Not ever having seen a Ruger factory replacement frame, I'm assuming it ought to look like my 1984 frame.

Wireman134

Bearcat
Yea, ChuckS1, my 92' NM Blackhawk had the black coated alloy, chipping and pealing all over the range. Such nice blued steel deserves much better than a aluminum painted grip frame. SBH Dragoon is larger if you have larger hands. All SBH's had steel grip frames. A brass frame is sharp but pricey. There was a Steel frame on Ebay awhile back, sold for almost $100. Gunbroker will have one or two once in a while, I got luck with this SBH frame, they don't last long with a buy it now of $40-$50.

flatgate

Hawkeye
Wireman134":2sg9iijw said:
A brass frame is sharp but pricey............. I got luck with mine, they don't last long with a buy it now of $40-$50.

:shock:
Yeow, I've NEVER seen one that cheap and I've been buying brass grip frames since the 1980's....

flatgate

Flash

Buckeye
Ale-8(1)":3v4nky09 said:
The newer ones do have a "painted" look. I'm not sure what the coating is, but it's sure not like the original anodizing. Powder coating, perhaps?
I believe they're painted. I removed a grip frame from a 32 SSM and the trigger return springs and the roll pin for the grips were all painted black. Definately not powder coating.

And yet I have the grip frame off of a recent .45 Blackhawk right here, and the pins are "silver" colored . . . perhaps stainless.

Ruger keeps throwin' us curves . . .

;)

two bit okie

Single-Sixer
two sets of twins. one blue and one brite stainless, both set have dragoon grip frames. fortunately both blue ones fit perfectly, (will maricles never cease), but both stainless needed fitting.also all 4 have super hammers and the blue ones have steel ejecter rod housing, and big button ejecter. And I did all MYSELF, AND THEY ALL STILL WORK. BIGGEST MARICLE.

flatgate

Hawkeye
Ale-8(1)":3leyocdk said:
And yet I have the grip frame off of a recent .45 Blackhawk right here, and the pins are "silver" colored . . . perhaps stainless.

Ruger keeps throwin' us curves . . .

;)

I believe the stainless pins have been SOP for quite some time.....
221293128.jpg

Here's the lock mechanism that WAS in my 50th Anniv. .44......

flatgate

I agree.

My point was that they haven't been painted in the grip frame I'm looking at, as opposed to what Flash reported.

I don't know what that means exactly, just that it's different.

;)

Latest posts