SBH Grip Frame help

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dcf69

Bearcat
My first real post here other than the new member intro but the wealth of knowledge available here is why I quit lurking and joined. :D

I have a NM Blackhawk in 45 Colt that never seemed to balance right to me with the XRN-3RED grip frame and that 7 1/2" barrel hanging off the end. Midway had some SBH Hunter grip frames in SS with round trigger guards marked as "blems" so I grabbed one up. It arrived today and something seemed amiss. The picture shows what I'm talking about. The "lugs" below the backstrap screw holes that fit into the cylinder frame appear to be missing on the new grip frame. To me this is way more than a "minor cosmetic flaw"...this would seem to make the gun unstable... essentially being held together buy the 5 screws alone and possibly subject to too much stress under recoil...sheering a screw and flying apart?

Am I reading this correctly and do I just need to send this thing back or am I over reacting and there are things I can do here?

5yygzr.jpg

1rdgmv.jpg

we have seen other grip frames over the years, that have had NO "lugs" and they work fine as long as all the holes align and are in place, there would be no shearing or movement to put any strain on the grip frame......and as long as the holes are in the proper location, , the final fit of the two frames should be relatively simple ,easy or may not even be needed.....I only get concerned as to fitting when it comes to the top ,back edge and how they align,,,, I hate to see any 'mismatch ' near the sides of the hammer, just looks "wrong" when they do not match up, and smooth flow,contour back and downward.............
bottom line once you put the two together, you will quickly "see" what needs to be done...my guess, new guy?? or a bad CNC read out, whatever, the joys of manufacturing..I remember back to when they had all of those brass frames done, the old models , the dragoon style for the Supers, then they put them on other models, ,you should have seen how many BAD, BAD castings they had...at least they could be scrapped, melted down and recast into something else...they sold off a LOT of them for around $7.50 a 'set' , and many of them you had to check out real quick, or send it back for another one, lots of casting flaws (craters & voids) 8) :roll:

dcf69

Bearcat
That's is good news then, thanks Rugerguy. Everything else seems right on target with regard to the screw holes and the grip frame appears to have very little fitting if any required, I will know for sure when I assemble.

Thanks,
Dave

medicdave

Blackhawk
The newer guns don't use the ears anymore, but it's not a big deal using the frames on older guns.

This is a new unfitted xr3 being fit down for grips. It went right on an older single six no problem.

And an unfitted hunter waiting it's turn for fitting down.

dcf69

Bearcat
Thanks medicdave...that is good info.

Those are some nice looking grips you are fitting up there.

David Bradshaw

Blackhawk
For checking progress on a trigger job, the "ears" allow attachment of grip frame to cylinder frame by the forward trigger guard screw alone.
David Bradshaw