SBH cylinder pin backing out

Help Support Ruger Forum:

kelbro

Single-Sixer
I've finally decided that I might need one of the Belt Mountain locking pins.

Ruger SBH Hunter in 44 Mag.

Never a problem with light loads but near full and full power loads kick the pin out.

Will the Belt Mountain solve the problem?

I saw two different types. Which type is preferred?

Do you have to give the set screw something to bite into? I really don't want to be drilling on my pistol.

Where's the best place to purchase one?

Thanks for any input.

flatgate

Hawkeye
I'd first try, cause I'm a homeboy fixer, to make sure the pin fits "right".

#1 Does the base pin latch really "snap into place" on the base pin? If not, a bit of careful "needle file" work can make the "latch" be more secure. A stronger "latch spring", available from the Aftermarket Industy can also help.

When/If you get frustrated, get ahold of "good guy" Kelye Schlepp, owner of Belt Mountain in Belgrade, MT ( a few miles W. of Bozeman). He makes the absolute best "Base Pins" for Rugers....

flatgate

PS, yes, the proper way to install a "set screw" style Base Pine requires a slight "bore" in the lower portion of the barrel. Rest assured, such work is well proven and is not proven to reduce the "safety factor" of installation.

Sonnytoo

Blackhawk
flatgate":1j4s9is7 said:
When/If you get frustrated, get ahold of "good guy" Kelye Schlepp, owner of Belt Mountain in Belgrade, MT ( a few miles W. of Bozeman). He makes the absolute best "Base Pins" for Rugers....

flatgate

I met Kelye in New Braunfels, TX at one of John Linebaugh's seminars many years ago. He's a very good guy and has some fine products.
Sonnytoo

kelbro

Single-Sixer
flatgate":998pw5tr said:
I'd first try, cause I'm a homeboy fixer, to make sure the pin fits "right".

#1 Does the base pin latch really "snap into place" on the base pin? If not, a bit of careful "needle file" work can make the "latch" be more secure. A stronger "latch spring", available from the Aftermarket Industy can also help.

flatgate

PS, yes, the proper way to install a "set screw" style Base Pine requires a slight "bore" in the lower portion of the barrel. Rest assured, such work is well proven and is not proven to reduce the "safety factor" of installation.

I marked the notch with a sharpie and jewelry-filed it a little at a time until the latch wouldn't mark it. Not much needed there. I can't try it out for a while though. I may go ahead and order a stronger spring too. I'll hold off on replacing the pin until I see how these do.

kelbro

Single-Sixer
Just got off the phone with one of the fine folks at Ruger. They are sending me all three parts. Base pin, spring, and latch. No charge. Hopefully this will correct the issue. If not, I'll give Belt Mtn a call.

make sure the "parts" are in order ( good shape) in the gun, we see many of the latches, that are "peened" and have gouges around them, if need be replace them ,and as said above maybe a stronger spring in the assembly, works for us, and yes, if you are GOOD you can drill and tap the pin itself and install a small allen head 'set screw', to put pressure up , against the bottom of the barrel, but again, as noteds, there should be a 'divot' also in the bottom of the barrel to make it work "properly".......
we have had guys just 'rotate' the ltcth assembly on the range, and the pin stayed in....alll depends on how bad your set may be........