SBH Bluing/High Polish ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

drdirt123

Bearcat
Today I looked at a 1970 Super in very nice condition, but appeared to be reblued and high polished. I'd say minimum 95%. No box or holster wear, very slight turn ring, original parts etc. $360 and "on hold" for 5 days. At the very least would make a great shooter. Did Ruger in this time frame do the Super High Polish and how would I tell if its original? I have not held a high polished gun.

Thanks, Brian

chet15

Hawkeye
Yes, all Super Blackhawks except the first few thousand guns in 1959 and 1960 have the high polish finish. You can tell the difference by comparing another Ruger with the Super. Ruger's standard polish actually shows polishing lines from the polishing medium used. The high polish does not show finish lines.
Chet15

drdirt123

Bearcat
Yes, it's 80-14xxx and different in look compared to a standard polish super. I would call it very shiny, almost a smoky grey/blue in color, very smooth. The look gives off warning signals, but I'm not a collector and like nice unconverted shooters. I'll probably get it for the price.

drdirt123

Bearcat
Thanks Dan & Flatgate, just what I wanted to hear. I'll pick it up in the next couple days and have another look. Even if its reblued, I'll be happy.

Brian