Saw My First SR-22 Today

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Unconverted

Single-Sixer
I couldn't believe my favorite shop had one on the shelf today. I checked it out and it is a solid, hefty, well-made, black rifle that any AR-15 and 10/22 owner will want as soon as possible.

The only plastic parts on it are the grip and the adjustable portion of the buttstock. The buttstock was too loose for my tastes, but that's my only gripe.

The SR-22 is a serious AR-15 practice rifle and fun gun that isn't really designed to take the place of your favorite custom hunting 10/22. I'm going to get one.

Snake45

Hawkeye
Unconverted":12owo3a3 said:
I checked it out and it is a solid, hefty, well-made, black rifle that any AR-15 and 10/22 owner will want as soon as possible.
I can tell you at least one who has no interest in it. :?

DarkStarCrossed

Bearcat
Unconverted":3hjhhsw5 said:
I checked it out and it is a solid, hefty, well-made, black rifle that any AR-15 and 10/22 owner will want as soon as possible.

Just because it has a Ruger name on it doesn't suddenly make it worth something... the SR-22 is flat out fugly and poorly conceived and they can keep it, I'll stick with my Spikes Tactical and S&W 15-22...

9x19

Hunter
Mine got a little trigger work today... and my mini risers came in as well, so the full length model has been replaced, and the bi-pod is mounted... tomorrow, we shoot! :D

1022SR.jpg

1022SRbp.jpg

Unconverted

Single-Sixer
Blume,

I had to go back and check today. The trigger housing was plastic. The finish was close and because I don't track the Rimfires category, I didn't know about the changeover. I'd have to have an alloy one on mine.

9x19

Hunter
The trigger housing is synthetic, as all new 10/22s, but it just fine IMO.

Here is a shot of the receiver markings for those that might be interested (pardon the oily finger-prints):

1022SRrx.jpg

toyhunt

Single-Sixer
Snake45":2jf0c85f said:
Unconverted":2jf0c85f said:
I can tell you at least one who has no interest in it. :?
or 2 :roll:

Unconverted

Single-Sixer
9x19":26r0l6x6 said:

Very nice 9x19,

I'm a big 10/22 fan whose always used his trusty factory-original 10/22 for hunting: It just doesn't get much better IMHO. And, now I can get a Ruger-produced semi-auto .22 LR that feels like an AR15 and has the same wonderfully reliable 10/22 action.

GhosT

Blackhawk
LOL,
Wondered when 9x19 would chime in....
And glad he did.

Snake45 said...
"I can tell you at least one who has no interest in it.".
Can relate,not agree, but relate.... bet yer a 10/22 fan, as am I...

DarkStarCrossed said...
"Just because it has a Ruger name on it doesn't suddenly make it worth something... the SR-22 is flat out fugly and poorly conceived and they can keep it....."

With all due respect...
I find this gun FAR FROM UGLY!....but that's JMHO.

Decades of guys telling me my Rugers are UGLY...Yet love the simplistic design of every I own.

I'm just looking forward to actual shooting reports!

ddd482

Single-Sixer
i dont care for it either- just not my cup of tea-not to say anything bad about it though= however - it is great to keep seeing new things from ruger-

Bigfoot62

Bearcat
Saw my first SR-22 today.
The local gun shop here has them in stock. Looked at one last Friday. If that's what you want, go for it. Just not my preference. (but I like the Mini-14 better than an AR-15) If I wanted to spend $550 on a 10/22, I'd just buy another Race Rifle.
JMHO

tomiswho":1765rpj6 said:
It's difficult for me to get excited about anything "tactical" about a .22 LR caliber.

Guess I don't see it as "Tactical". I see it as handy and usable. I like the short barrel. I like the possible rails for sights or a scope. I like the collapsible stock for when the gun is riding in the back seat of the truck.

The hugest majority of AR's are used only on the range, and/or for varmint hunting. What makes the layout of black rifles work in combat, also makes them work on the range, and hunting.

So, again, just because a body has no interest in one, doesn't mean the next guy can't have a different opinion.:wink:

WAYNO.

Snake45

Hawkeye
GhosT":3dj05k98 said:
Snake45 said...
"I can tell you at least one who has no interest in it.".
Can relate,not agree, but relate.... bet yer a 10/22 fan, as am I...
Yeah. Actually, I'm a fan of both. I have two 10/22s, and a few ARs, one of which is a dedicated .22 and one of which usually has a .22LR conversion living in it. I'm just not a fan of 10/22s trying to play-pretend that they are ARs.

9x19

Hunter
Bigfoot62":2noucbvw said:
Saw my first SR-22 today.
The local gun shop here has them in stock. Looked at one last Friday. If that's what you want, go for it. Just not my preference. (but I like the Mini-14 better than an AR-15) If I wanted to spend $550 on a 10/22, I'd just buy another Race Rifle.
JMHO

$550?!

Ouch... mine was $435!

I think I like my shop better than your shop! :lol:

I saw my first SR-22 today, also. It's the one that I just bought :D

First impression? It is stout!

The next first impression? It is very well made, and it handles very easy. Can't wait to shoot it.

And one last thing...If'ns you're gonna put rings on yours, do your homework and make sure you get rings that are tall enough. I bought the "economy" Leupold "high" rings, and they aren't quite tall enough.

WAYNO.

deadduck357

Single-Sixer
I knocked this SR-22 when it was first anounced, BUT I saw and played with 3 of them today at a local gun show and I have to NOW say that they a well made, solid, hanled well and have changed my mind about them.