Saw a rarer Security-Six today,,,

Help Support Ruger Forum:

contender

Ruger Guru
Today,, at our NRA WOT clinic,, one of the ladies brought in a Ruger,, saying it was one of her husbands guns,, but it was her favorite. A Stainless Security-Six,, 2-3/4" bbl,, with the scalloped recoil shield of the older ones. I couldn't see the serial number due to the Pachmyers on the gun,, (I wanted to remove them & look,,) but when I laid it alongside my 4" Security,, they looked like a handsome pair.
One of the bennies of teaching these clinics,, we occasionally get to see some goodies.

41 mag fan

Single-Sixer
when did they stop with did they stop with the scaloped recoil shields? I have one with the scalloped shield that according to the web site was made 1985. Steve

Ruger Packer

Buckeye
I thought the Security/Speed/Police-Six series ended with the scalloped recoil shield. In fact, I'm pretty sure it did.

The earlier guns had the rounded, ball shaped shield.

contender

Ruger Guru
Ok,, then I'm the dummy & got it backwards. I guess I'll have to look in my RENE guide & double check myself. If I'm backwards,, then,, it's my gun that's not scalloped,,,,! :D

Ok,, I got off my butt & looked it up.
The series started in 1972 with the full recoil shield. (serial #'s starting with a 150 prefix.) Then the scalloped right side of the recoil shield,, started appearing around serial # 158-14100,, or about 1982. They stopped production in 1988,, so,, I guess it wasn't as rare as I thought. It just cought my eye when it appeared,, and since I knew mine wasn't the earliest variation,, AND working from a faded memory due to the lack of serious study of those guns,, I made the mistake of thinking it was an earlier one.
But hey,, the lady was enjoying it,, and she left there knowing she had a good gun for HER!

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Gotta like those Security-Six guns!

I just found another as-new SS 4-incher. I say 'another' because I stumbled across an unfired gun last summer and walked away - for about 3 minutes! Someone kept yelling in my ear about an excellent 25-year old DA 357 Magnum stainless revolver in un-used condition...

They just aren't making those exemplary all-around handguns anymore - and they aren't getting any cheaper either!

w5lx

Single-Sixer
Bearlaker":2zcbbe7b said:
Pics! This thread needs pics!

Gratuitous picture: :p

PolishedSecuritySix.jpg

P94/GP100

Single-Sixer
I'm a firm believer that the Security/Service/Speed Six guns are one of the bigger unsung/underpriced bargains to be had out there-I much prefer them to their Smith & Wesson and Colt contemporarys. Since over 1.2 million of them were made, you'd expect to see more available-bit apparently those of us who have 'em have realized just how good they are, so there aren't normally a lot of them available at any given time on the secondary market. As Jerry Kuhnhausen commented in his manual on them, there normally just isn't much that goes wrong with a -Six double action revolver (and you never have to worry about a cylinder crane screw loosening at the most unopportune time either).

On mine (a 1978-vintage stainless steel .357 magnum standard barrel model), I added the Millett Orange-Bar front sight; it came (fortuitously) with Ruger's plain black wide notch rear sight, so I kept that. Mine came with the optional wood Ruger target grips, which weren't exactly on the cutting edge of ergonomics or speed-loader user friendliness, so after experimenting with a Hogue rubber grip (as in the Security Six pictured in the response just above), I ended up with a set of Trausch TJ84R grips modified for me by Jacques Trausch (he cut the grip butt to fit the square-butt Security Six, and cut down the left grip's thumb ridge to facilitate unhindered ejection and speedloader insertion). I really like the enclosed backstrap and beavertail of the Trausch grips, along with their superb ergonomics and pointability.

Mine is used for IDPA, carry, steel plate competition, and home nightstand duty. I had Blade-Tech make a kydex IWB holster for it, and use a Bianchi Accumold double speedloader pouch (supplimented by individual Uncle Mike's single speedloader pouches as necessary), and also use Bianchi Speedloader strips contained in a upsidedown Galco 2 X 2 X 2 case for concealed carry purposes). For field use, I also have a Bianchi UM84R flap holster, and a vintage Hunter leather holster. Truth be told, I actually find that I prefer the Security Six to my extensively customized Chris Peters GP100...a magnificent gun in its own right.

I have my sights zero'd for 125gr +P loads; for carry, I prefer Remington 125gr +P Golden Sabers, and for matches whatever corresponding 125+P ammunition I can get my hands on-frequently Remington/UMC SJHP, Blazer Aluminum SJHP, or Winchester jacketed ball.

They're a great contemporary classic, and extremely usable, combat revolver.

Best, Jon