Satin Stainless vs Target Grey?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BisleyBuff

Bearcat
Hi I'm brand new to the forum and would like to start with a question.

I had and (stupidly) sold a Ruger Super Redhawk in 454/45LC in target grey.

I see for sale what appears to be the same gun but the box says "Satin Stainless". The code label is ripped but it does look like it might say SRH.

Is Satin Stainless a new phrase for Ruger's Target Grey?

Thanks, and looking forward to participating much more in these forums, I also have a Bearcat and Original Single six bisley in 32 H&R mag.

BisleyBuff

no the "satin " finish is just a phase of either polishing or bead blasting, so as to not be "shiny or gloss" which the other option,,,the 'Target Gray " was a
proprietary finish I believe the parts were "tumbled" and gave that finish between the tumbling and the solution...the trouble was YOU or I could NOT touch or clean up any spots as it goes through this surface finish and back to the "shiny" softer stainless metal alloy........we've stripped them down and repolished over the years,,, also at one time you could send it back to the factory BUT I am not certain if this is even offered any longer.......the basic stainless alloy can be redone in a few different reflection??? smooth, shiny, REAL shiny "gloss" or matted , a bead blast , soft glass beads at low air pressure,,,especially at the top of the barrels of automatics or top strap, keeps bright light glaring off towards the shooter.............yes, even a hard ,;leather holster would abrade, polish OFF the sides of the barrels and frame over time....the target grey did NOT "wear well" just looked dull out in the woods while hunting deer,,,,,, ha ha a deer can spot stainless up in a tree stand from across the field...........same goes for cocking back a single action while deer hunting.....hhhmmm just how do we know this.........:cool::rolleyes:;)

BisleyBuff

Bearcat
Thank you, the gun I was going to buy is in its box marked "satin stainless", I will wait until I'm sure the gun I buy is in a box marked "target grey" as was my old gun.

LaneP

Single-Sixer
I love the look of the target grey and when I bought my SRH they had just stopped shipping the grey finish. However, the brushed stainless is fine too.

AM-JKLUEkUik0blT6U9llA4Z5fGegaseINeAT61ZxyZPo9jM1aIAYHscP_JZ5L8SE-4K0rI7dj8a8VvSJLAyeyyecO-R2qhV3ommR_z5XCDMVJe2_Wua-dZocTLSACZuPoIqpBSCtsrxm67IHR8MCJ-8d1uy=w508-h512-no

diyj98

Single-Sixer
That target grey looked like bad after it got rubbed or scratched off in areas. I never liked it for that reason.

arcee

Bearcat
Don't know if it's true or not, but, when I got my target gray 454 casuul I was told it was caused by the hardening process changes they had to use to handle the casull. Always believed it but might be Urban Legend....
v/r rc

Rocdoc

Buckeye
They had that target grey in the M77 Frontier with laminate many years ago,the 1 knew of had a setup for the scout scope on a No. 1 type rail

Ctsigsd

Bearcat
Hi I'm brand new to the forum and would like to start with a question.

I had and (stupidly) sold a Ruger Super Redhawk in 454/45LC in target grey.

I see for sale what appears to be the same gun but the box says "Satin Stainless". The code label is ripped but it does look like it might say SRH.

Is Satin Stainless a new phrase for Ruger's Target Grey?

Thanks, and looking forward to participating much more in these forums, I also have a Bearcat and Original Single six bisley in 32 H&R mag.

BisleyBuff
Anyonr know what yrs the gray SRH were mafe? Thsnx

Ctsigsd

Bearcat
Thanx for those yrs.. I knew they stopped in 2009 but wasnt sure the first year.. Was it ONLY super Redhawks? I heard rumor there was some GP-100s also.. Any truth to that? Thanx..

hittman

Staff member
I think some of the GPNYs were target gray too. Maybe the USPS Speed Six as well.

Ctsigsd

Bearcat
Oh ok.. Very intresting.. I recently stumbled into a Super TH in target grey, 454 Casull.. Perfect condition, snapped it up instantly, there eas a 2nd target grey, same consignor, in 44, but i missed that one by half hour.. I feel lucky in getting this one, the grey has zero marks or wear.. In 45 colt, off the bench, VERY accurate and fluffy kittens cat to shoot.. Thanx for the info.!