SARCO "M1 Carbine" Stock for 10/22

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Snake45

Hawkeye
Finally broke down and had to buy one...got it the other day and have been playing with it. Couple disappointing points about it, but overall I guess I'd have to say I like the thing. Hope to take and post some pics this weekend, and give a more detailed review.

Anyone else have one?

I also bought real M1 carbine front and rear sights for the gun. Adapting the rear won't be too difficult; I already have a plan. Not sure yet how I'll put the front one on. A lot will depend on how high it needs to be, after I get the rear mounted (as low as possible).

Snake45

Hawkeye
Oh, forgot to mention: My 10/22 dropped right in just fine, no fit problems with the gun whatsoever. :D

eveled

Hawkeye
That's a nice looking stock for the 10/22. Looking forward to your pictures after the sight work. Ed

Snake45

Hawkeye
blume357 said:
That would be a neat rifle to take to an Appleseed Project with the improved sights and a tuned trigger.
My other 10/22, the 1966 one, has a very nice trigger (@ 4 pounds with almost no creep). It also has peep sights, an M14 front sight, and is set up for GI sling. It would be the perfect Appleseed rifle.

This 10/22, the one I bought new in 1985, has a trigger that's somewhere in the 5-6 pound range with just a little bit of perceptible creep. It is remarkably similar to the trigger in my "house" Inland M1 carbine. That's why I'm setting this gun up, as a proficiency trainer (and all-round plinker). :wink:

I also have one of those old ERMA/Iver Johnson EM-1 .22 lookalikes. I like it very, very much, but it has a trigger that's TOO good. It goes at about 2 pounds with some very smooth creep in it. If you can imagine a 2-pound Glock trigger, that's what it feels like. Very shootable but doesn't feel anything like a real M1 carbine trigger.

Snake45

Hawkeye
Pat-inCO said:
blume357 said:
That would be a neat rifle to take to an Appleseed Project with the improved sights and a tuned trigger.
Along with a G.I. sling of course.
Gee, you think maybe that's why they have the Tech-Sights?
Tech Sights work great, but lord are they ugly and don't look like M1 carbine sights at all. I'm setting this gun up to look, feel, and handle as close to my "house" M1 as I can get it.

Snake:
is this M1 stock for a factory tapered barrel or the .920 bull? It looks nice. What were the disappointments you mentioned?

Does it have an oil finish like a real M1?

Post some pictures when you get it finished.

Snake45

Hawkeye
Kevin said:
Snake:
is this M1 stock for a factory tapered barrel or the .920 bull? It looks nice. What were the disappointments you mentioned?

Does it have an oil finish like a real M1?

Post some pictures when you get it finished.
Factory standard barrel.

The finish looks like a sprayed-on matte/flat polyurethane, perhaps with the dark brown stain right in it. It looks almost like brown paint, but not quite. Stock seems to be birch. Very dark brown color--I've seen many Garand and carbine stocks both dark like this.

Wyldman

Bearcat
I have been giving serious thought to building one of these as an Appleseed rifle using some small apeture Tech Sights. I do believe it would be about perfect for the application. I need to find a beater 10/22 as a donor to start. Anybody have any volunteers?

Snake45

Hawkeye
Wyldman said:
I have been giving serious thought to building one of these as an Appleseed rifle using some small apeture Tech Sights. I do believe it would be about perfect for the application. I need to find a beater 10/22 as a donor to start. Anybody have any volunteers?
You don't need or even want the SARCO M1 stock to build an Appleseed rifle. They'll want to teach you the shooting sling, and the M1 carbine type sling won't work for that. All you need is, as you say, a beater 10/22 with a solid stock, the Tech Sights, a set of screw-in sling swivels and a sling.

Wyldman

Bearcat
What kind of sling do they use? How is it different the standard issue GI sling that I use on the majority of my rifles? I was liking the size and handlability charcteristics of the M1 Carbine style stock, not to mention keeping things fairly lightweight for my wife (arthritis in her hands & wrists).

Snake45

Hawkeye
M1 Carbine (and this SARCO stock) use a "strap" that's thinner and narrower than the USGI cotton web sling. And it fastens with a big snap on the side of the rifle, not what you need for sling shooting.

Just use a regular 10/22 stock, and put a screw-in sling stud in the proper place. :wink:

9x19

Hunter
Snake,

Have you seen these? :mrgreen:

http://centerfiresystems.com/1022sight-m1.aspx

10_22-SIGHT-M1-D.jpg

Snake45

Hawkeye
No, I haven't, but I'm going to! That front sight looks like just what I need! Thanks!