Sako 222 Info

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Vecco

Single-Sixer
I was given a fairly old, excellence condition SAKO Riinimkai 222. I want to try to find out more information and the manufacturing date of this rifle ending in N:xx689. I have been to the SAKO website but no help that I can find. Does anyone know a good gun info sight that I can find more about the manufacturing date of this gun?

pete44ru

Hunter
I saw one of those L-46 .222's, about two years ago - tagged @ only $400.

I thought it was a pretty good deal, at the time.

I bought it on the spot, and took it home - very nice, indeed.

The next day, I decided to take it apart & thoroughly clean it, prior to shooting it.

I found out why it was tagged so low.

The inscription, on the barrel botom (hidden by the stock wood ) was "Remington" ! :shock:

Some astute gunsmith must have rebarrelled it with a Remington .222 barrel, ensuring the non-Sako logo would normally not show.

Yeah - I got a refund, because my bill-of-sale said "Sako".

I'm glad I didn't buy that one from a gunshow wanderer, or I would have been S.O.L.

Bob Elliott

Bearcat
About 45 years ago I was hanging around a local rifle range shooting my Marlin 22 and pop cans. A much older guy was shooting a Sako .222 at 100 yards. I couldn't believe his 5 shot groups....all little clover leaves. That experience had a profound impact on me and I've been chasing little groups ever since. :lol:

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
Marvelous little rifle. I've owned one for some 25+ years, a Deluxe with Sako peep and a dated Redfield Gunsight Co. 2x7 dot scope. Shoots anyone's ammo into dime groups. Bought it off the Used rack at Bob Jensen's Custom Ammo shop in Tucson, one rainy Friday late Afternoon, about thisa time of year in 1984. It will be one of the last to go out of this Near NorthWoods armory. I could use an extra clip if anyone has one laying around in heir "possibles" box. 8)

Alabama, in the bend of the Tennessee River
My brother-in-law in New Mexico has one of these little gems. It has slain many a coyote, badger, fox, and not a few mule deer for him. He told me once he had killed more deer with that little .222 than with all the rest of his rifles put together. He just has confidence in it and knows how to shoot it.

I made an outstanding (for me) offhand shot with it one night on a fox in a spotlight at about 120 yards. It just always seems to shoot where you're looking.
BIL would also love to have a spare magazine for his. Numrich does not seem to have these.

Tucsonite

Single-Sixer
I have a friend down here in AZ who hoards those extra mags for Sako. Ive seen him sell 1 Mag for $350. He always says to the buyer " go find another one" and "they dont make em anymore" .

Dan

Cracker-American

Blackhawk
Slightly off topic but

Do you pronounce Sako as "Say ko" or "Sock oh" ??

My late cousin used a Sako in .222 with a fixed 10X scope as his go to rifle for about fifty years. He bought it around 1950. Because of that rifle and him shooting it I thought for years that all rifles shot into a half dollar at a hundred yards.

martyj

Blackhawk
The first way Say ko I never heard it the other way before. They did use the heck out of 222 for bench rest shooting in the earlier days.

Latest posts