Safe Queens

Help Support Ruger Forum:

txramfan

Single-Sixer
Also in the safe is a Eli Whitney cap n ball , Maynard conversion, that will not be fired. Its A civil war era, not issued and has what I understand is a USA rejected barrel which Whitney acquired and used.
My pop acquired it from Bannerman back in the 30s, my cousin has a cavalry version ( short version not sure that's the correct name) his dad bought at the same time and same barrel issue.

vito

Hunter
No safe queens for me, but among the very few guns I own I have a couple that I virtually never touch. Both are Rugers, a P97dc and a Sr40c. And while I don't shoot them, I still like them. I've considered selling them but for the small amount that I would recieve, money I can live without, I would end up missing having them. And I almost forgot about the Mossberg 500 which is my just-in-case-I-need-it, but never shoot it, category that sits ready and waiting in my bedroom closet. The only gun that I own that has sentimental type value for me is my S&W Model 19 4-inch nickel revolver, which I do shoot every once in awhile and is the only gun that I specifically have told my wife to give to our youngest son after I am gone.

KIR

Blackhawk
Just because I wanted one: a WINCHESTER 1894 .30 WCF Sporting Rifle MFG. 1908 26" Nickel-Steel Octagon Barrel, several modifications, so not a collector's item. However, due to the crescent shaped butt, and recoil, seriously doubt if I will shoot it again. Will probably sit in the safe for my son. I shoot at paper, but my son is a hunter.
The rest of my firearms were chosen for Home Defense, Concealed Carry, Classics or SHTF scenarios. Main reason for choosing was for having different calibers, for which I have good reasons for choosing.

Durango Dave

Bearcat
Guns are meant to be shot. I don't believe in having a a gun so old or pristine that you won't shoot it.

I feel the same way about old cars, they are meant to be driven.
Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying you should shoot your antique guns. I'm saying I'd never buy a gun that I would never shoot.
But I do have some guns that would be safe queens if they were in the hands of someone else.

I have a Winchester 1894 that was made in 1907 (115 years old)
Winchester 1894.jpg

I handload light 30-30 loads for it.

I also have Springfield Trapdoor made in 1887 (135 years old)
1884 Springfield Trapdoor (cropped).jpg

I bought this in May and have not yet shot it but I intend to. It's a black powder cartridge gun so I have some more steps to do. I built a drop tube. I bought a mold and made some 500 grain bullets. I hope to have everything together this week to load some 45-70 cartridges and shoot this Trapdoor.

Last edited:
I definitely am not a collector, an accumulator maybe. I have a few I haven't shot, a worked over 357 max and a NMBH 45 from Tyler Gun Works, and a Quinn GP100. Just haven't had the occasion I guess. Also a handful of 10-22s. If I live long enough they all may have their turn. There are a couple I won't shoot due to age or condition, but not real safe queens.

RSIno1

Hunter
I've had a few safe queens. I'd define Safe Queen as a new unfired gun that you won't shoot for some reason. My first was a unfired 45-70 Trapdoor Springfield. My old boss knew the curator of an arms museum and he bought a collection of 100 guns and kept the best for their collection and sold off the rest. Paid $150 for in in the mid 80s bought brass, dies, bullets but couldn't bring myself to shoot it - they are only new once. Sold it to a friend and he shot it.
I also did the same thing with a couple Old Army revolvers. A Blue & a Stainless both NIB - just as they were when I sold them because there are no unfired guns in my safe.
I always wanted a Weatherby. In the early 70s their store in SoCal was in my copier repair area. Every couple months or so I'd stop in and drool. Married just a couple years and with a new baby there was zero money for such extravagance. I did buy several boxes of once fired brass ($2 or 3 a box) to load for a 1909 Mauser I had rebarreled in 300 Weatherby. When I had saved enough money they had moved manufacturing to Japan and I wanted a German one so I put Weatherby ownership on the back burner.10 years later I was in Pachmayer in downtown LA. On their consignment rack was a new unfired German 300 Weatherby that met my hardest qualification it was a lefty. I almost hurt myself getting out my checkbook. It's a quasi safe queen. I drag it out every few years and put a few rounds through it. I've had it 40 years now and it's got less than 100 rounds through it. I suspect the gun had been one of those deposit x amount of dollars and we'll give you a gun in lieu of interest deals. It came with the German made Weatherby variable scope and a Weatherby hard case. Our daughter is a lefty and looking forward to inheriting it.

Attachments

• tag.jpg
    tag.jpg
    483.4 KB · Views: 21
  • bank.jpg
    bank.jpg
    340.4 KB · Views: 22

hittman

Staff member
I’ve shot German made Weatherby’s in 257 and 340 Weatherby Magnum. There’s no game around these parts big enough to need a gun of that caliber but man oh man what a fine example of engineering and ballistics.

I have many safe queens. I also have many shooters. I read often, folks not understanding, or even disagreeing with us that have guns we'll never shoot, or never shoot again.

It's like art. Some needs to be preserved. Many examples of firearms, both scarce and/or vintage, need to be set aside for the future. I see it as a responsibility of mine to do so.

Simultaneously, I wont begrudge a person for shooting the crap out of any or all of his guns. They are his to do whatever he sees fit.

Last edited:

Snake Pleskin

Hunter
I have many safe queens. I also have many shooters. I read often, folks not understanding, or even disagreeing with us that have guns we'll never shoot, or never shoot again.

It's like art. Some needs to be preserved. Many examples of firearms, both scarce and/or vintage, need to be set aside for the future. I see it as a responsibility of mine to do so.

Simultaneously, I wont begrudge a person for shooting the crap out of any or all of his guns. They are his to do whatever he sees fit.

I used to think safe queens were ok, but not any more. They are NOT like art IMHO, because locked in a box in a safe is useless. If you had enough room and could display them securely, maybe, but I only ever knew one person in my life that had the money/room to be able to do that. Might as well buy your Rembrandt and wrap it up and stick it in the basement vault. So much for the "art" idea.

I had a .375 Remington Ultra mag that was more like a safe troll than a queen. It lived in a back corner for years as I had absolutely no use for
it and couldn't stand to shoot it. Bought it at an estate sale because it was cheap, two range visits and I believe 12 shots fired. Sat for years and sold it to a guy going bear hunting in Alaska. With the 300 grain ammo that came with the gun it was just nasty to shoot.

Latest posts