Safe Queens

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hittman

Staff member
Some folks have mentioned they don’t own any safe queens and shoot all the guns they own.

Many years ago I could say the same thing. I never intended to “collect“ safe queens. Now I may have one or two items of “royalty” in the far dark recesses of the gun safe.

What happened was building relationships.

I bought 2 or 3 “average” guns from a member here. A few months later he contacted me when he was ready to turn loose his NIS Speed Six, in the box, with the shipper! I didn’t even know he owned it until he called.

A local (older and retired) guy asked me to put a value on some guns for when he was ready to sell. Three years later he offered me the 9mm Speed Six at a very good price. He got it at the PASA Park in Barry, IL by buying a $20.00 raffle ticket when the gun was brand new.

Fond memories of good times and of people treating me better than I deserve!

Share your story if you like.

lolbell

Single-Sixer
I have two safe queens. One Is a two tone Ruger Blackhawk in 327 Federal Magnum, unfired except factory test fire with box and all paperwork. The other is my dad’s first 22. It’s unsafe. Occasionally it will discharge when lowering the bolt after cycling a fresh round in the chamber. The bolt for the gun is not stored with the rifle. It’s in another county at my brothers to eliminate any accidents.

32shooter

Blackhawk
I had one of the two tone .327's and I did shoot it. Someone on the forum here wanted it for their collection. I wouldn't sell it but I traded it to him for an all stainless one with an action job. It is slick. I might have a few I haven't shot yet, but it is just because I haven't got around to doing it yet. I guess I am in the accumulator camp more than collector. No "safe queens" for me.

Well, I'm one of those who has a number of regular "shooters" and the rest are in my collections due to their rarity, age, etc. I do fondle them quite often to keep them nice and pretty and corrosion free. I do not cock them if at all possible and if I have to, I try to mitigate any turn lines, etc.

I am not ashamed to call myself a Ruger Collector and am quite proud of my Ruger firearms and do like showing them off and teaching people about them. That is why I am also a founding member of the Ruger Owners and Collectors Society.

Last edited:

arcticruger

Red Eagle
I haven’t shot my 3 digit Red Eagle and never will. Being a first month production Ruger firearm, it‘s of a piece of history that I am proud to be caretaker of. So other than being gently fondled once in awhile, it sits in the safe.

There are also a couple other .22 autos and 10/22s that are NIB like laminates, commemorative, anniversary, etc. that I don’t shoot.

But I have plenty of Standards, Marks, and 10/22s that I do shoot, even a later Red Eagle, so I’m not deprived or anything. ;)

Mobuck

Hawkeye
I have a ROOM full of 'safe queens'. For decades, I was in the gun shop business and traded for or simply bought guns that I either didn't intend to shoot or used and then saw a different something I liked. I was shuffling some boxes and gun cases a few days ago and pulled out my custom Mauser 257 R carbine and thought "Wow, I really like the feel of this little rifle". The winter I had hand surgery, I killed 3 deer with 3 shots left handed with that gun. Then I pulled out the first really nice custom rifle I had ( 7x57 on a commercial Mark X action) and thought of all the deer I'd killed with that rifle and it still hardly looked like it had been used. I keep saying I'm going to give each kid 3 picks from the bunch and sell the rest but that's a corner I can't quite turn (not yet anyway).
Heck, I'm still storing guns for a couple of the kids who've had their own homes for over 10 years.

I have a 'few' guns both long and short that sit idly in my various gun cabinets but I would not consider them queens. A few years back a pistol was donated to the one other forum I'm on and it was auctioned off.... I tried to jack the price up... really did not expect it to sell for less than $1000 but things happen and so this is my one safe Queen... it sits in the original factory box stored away.. I do take her out every once and a while and fondle her.

Goldstar225

Single-Sixer
No safe queens here. I like to shoot each gun I own. Oh there are several I would like to possess but I have a hard enough time rotating those I have to the range as frequently as I like as it is. For those who have safe queens, congratulations. Our possessions give us pleasure in different ways.

CoalCrackerAl

Single-Sixer
I have a Rhom RG 22 revolver. It don't always fire. I think the hammer was filed down. I paid 100 bucks for it. Bought someone else's problem.

Mauser9

Single-Sixer
Just one. A 98k bringback from dad. Sure it was made in 1940 and fired but the wood is mighty old. Not worth a cracked stock to lower value. Guess collectors like them all-matchers.

ned

Single-Sixer
I recently sold H&K P9S in .45 acp. Probably 200 rounds in 40 years….could not think of a reason to keep it if I was unwilling to shoot it…parts are probably hard to get…and probably not a gunny in town who ever worked on one. Seems all I ever shoot are 1911s and a Ruger 22/45…guess I’m in a rut….but suits me. like others here, I’m in my 70s and should sell off many but can’t quite drop the hammer on that yet

contender

Ruger Guru
Well, I fully respect the rights of a person to do as they wish with their property. If you own a gun,, and it's the rarest thing out there,, yet you choose to shoot it or whatever,, your call.

However,, I also admire the time, efforts, money, and such that goes into collecting. When these collections are displayed,, or shared,, it brings admiration from many. And it shows people how things were done,,"Back in the good old days."

I decided long ago,, that it's much easier to get shooters over collectors,, so whenever I found a gun that was hard to get, rare or whatever,, and I got it,, I'd also look for a shooter that someone else had chosen to use and or abuse. That way I could enjoy shooting a gun, as well as admiring a gun. The best of both worlds.

Latest posts