Safariland NRA competition holster

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Predator2525

Bearcat
Hello all, I do a lot of riding in the backwoods on my atv and want to carry my gp100 with me instead of the kp345pr. i may later on put a scope on the gun and like the idea of the way the safariland nra comp holster is set up. im also considering signing up for some of the competition shoots at my gun club at a later time. my question is though, is it rugged enough for the bumps and grinds i encounter on the trails? i dont want the gun flying off somewhere when im flying myself. all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
I'm not sure what the NRA competition holster looks like,, but if it's anything like most open front speed type competition holsters,, used in USPSA,, it might work. However, I have seen guns get knocked out of those holsters as well. A secure holster is best, but it also depends upon how rough you are with it.
How about a pic of the holster?

Predator2525

Bearcat
thanks contender, im new to the forum and dont know how to images in, however the holster is on midway website item 382679. yes it is an open front with tension adjustments behind cylinder and behind barrel. it looks very quick but i am very concerned of gun damage if it does fall out.[/img]

batmann

Single-Sixer
Just my two cents worth, look at Ruger's online store and go to the holster section. They have a Galco DOA that should work for you. If you mount a scope, however, it won't work. I would think about a shoulder holster for scope mounted hand guns.
If you like the looks of the DAO, you can find it on-line at other sources for less.

Predator2525

Bearcat
Thanks batmann, i had considered the shoulder holster but my atv rides two and i would have to be sure its a vertical, not horizontal hold. i was hoping the safariland would cover all aspects of my carrying the gun without having to change holster set up on different occasions. Ruger's online store did have some good selections. i have also found a holster that mounts to the atv's handlebars but not sure yet if it will fit the 6" yet. i'll keep searching though.