Safari Magnum? RSM model 77 mk II in .375

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Don G

Bearcat
Just got one. Have seen opinions that you have to epoxy the recoil plate in place, you have to bed the action, etc. Maybe that applies to the .458 Lott. Some say you have to have special tools to torque the front action screw to 95 inch pounds. Any of you own these rifles and have those same opinions, experiences? Before I bought it, I read several good reviews from people who owned them.

Also saw an article that said it will not eject shells properly if you work the bolt very fast… ?? Thanks

instructor

Single-Sixer
I had two of these rifles, one in 375HH and other one in 458Lott calibers. I heard the same things as you mentioned and spoke with Ruger regarding such steps and was warned that any such measures could well void any factory warranty if ever needed. I shot both of these rifles a fair amount and had no problems whatsoever. Found both of them to quite accurate and fed as they should whether bolt was operated slow or fast. The rifles are heavy due to stout recoil from either one, but for the 458Lott doubt you would want to operate the bolt fast for if you made it to three rounds you will feel it for quite a while. Very solid, dependable big game rifles in every respect from my experience.

I just bought a new Hawkeye Alaskan in 375 Ruger, and the only thing I've had to do is keep tightening the factory-supplied quick-release scope mounts. Otherwise, I love it. I just wish I could remove the muzzle brake. It seems Ruger torqued it with far more torque than I can find to remove it without putting it in some type of vice.

Edited for typos

Last edited: