Sad Day for my Ruger Gold Label

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Coop

Blackhawk
Hi folks,

I am not a shotgun wizard, nor am I even close to ever being a match winning shotgunner. I am a "dabbler" when it comes to shotgun skills.

Nonetheless, I had my 12 GA Ruger Gold Label out today for a "Financial Client" Sporting Clays shoot here in SW Pennsylvania (Nemacolin). I was using the club shotshells, which were Spanish manufactured steel shot target loads, and shot the first two stages with no problems. On the third stage, I had two "doubles" in a row (talk about laying a hurt on one's shoulder!), and then put my Gold Label on the cart and finished the shoot with a Nemacolin Beretta O/U.

Over the last four years, I have shot my Gold Label using mostly Win AA shotshells for trap with nary a problem. Yesterday, my wife and I went to our club to practice for this Sporting Clays shoot, and shot my Ruger Gold Label using 75 Win AA loads on the trap range with nary a problem.

Is it possible a certain brand of shotshells could cause a shotgun to "double"? Why would that happen? If this shotgun would ever go back to Ruger for this "problem", I may never get it back.

I would appreciate some feedback from Ruger shotgunners.

Best,
Coop

Hi I would call ruger tell them whats going on and tell them your concerns A gun that doubles is a dangerous gun it could go off when you close it or push the saftey off just my personal experiance I dont see why ruger would not fix it and send it back

GRAMPS

Mine's never doubled, but I don't exactly give it a pounding; just a round or two of clays before each bird season and then two or three boxes on quail. But if it DID double, that would hurt! I have fired about fifteen 3" magnums in it (shooting called coyotes in NYS when I had just got the gun and nothing else was open)--those hurt!

I'd ship it to Ruger; if the trigger or safety mechanism is affected, you don't want to be carrying it loaded until fixed. Not if you've ever seen the effects of a close range shotgun shell on a person.....