Sad as it is to say - Bob Campbell's guns up for auction

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Guys - We have looked at them, handled them, cried over them and now it is time to free them back into the world. Pops collection is going to go slowly into the internet gun sales. www.GunrunnerAuctions.com is handling the sale. They will be selling 6 to 8 guns a month till they are gone. We are selecting them at random so that some of each era goes per month, and not all of one type at one time.

This month a consecutive pair of old models is going, along with some nice looking transition guns.

In a couple of cases - there was a specific gun that Pop had that folks were interested in. We suck at setting prices, so determined that the auction was the best and most fair way to go.

Good luck if you wanted one - they will be headed your way.
and thanks for all the support from you guys - appreciate it

Amanda

Cholo

Staff member
Sad for sure, but it had to happen someday, I guess... :cry: I hope they bring top dollar for the family.

speedsixman

Single-Sixer
Gunrunner Auctions is a bit pricey on fees, but they seem to get top dollar price-wise on the guns. They will probably fetch more there than with Gunbroker or Gunauctions.com, and without the 'free re-listing' nonsense on Gunbroker.

They handle a lot of high value collector guns as well.
I think you made a wise choice.

Myron

Ale-8(1)

Staff member
They muffed the description of 55892. The lot heading #74 calls it a "Bridgetop" (?) and the detailed description calls it a Flattop.

It is, of course, not a Flattop . . . it's from 1964. I e-mailed the auction house.

:roll:

Corrected as of 11:00 AM 10/12. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Ale-8(1)

Staff member
They got 59939 wrong, too, just like 55892.

It's lot #105 and they're calling it a Flattop . . . another one from 1964.

Yes, I e-mailed them.

:roll:

Fox Mike

Hawkeye
How does one get to look without giving them your credit card information?

Ale-8(1)

Staff member
Go to the site . . .

http://www.gunrunnerauctions.com/index.cfm

Look under "Gun Auction Lists" and click on "Handguns" and scroll down thru them. The individuals can be clicked on to "open" for detail reading.

:)

contender

Ruger Guru
FMC,, we understand.
Many years ago,,, a good friend shared some wisdom upon me about guns. He said;
"We don't truly own them,,, we are just temporary custodians. Sooner or later they must go to another soul who appreciates them. Care for them & the next owner will thank you."

Jim Puke

Hunter
contender said:
FMC,, we understand.
Many years ago,,, a good friend shared some wisdom upon me about guns. He said;
"We don't truly own them,,, we are just temporary custodians. Sooner or later they must go to another soul who appreciates them. Care for them & the next owner will thank you."

And, after all, they are just guns...they are inanimate objects, just as we describe them when defending our right to own them. Personally, I have never thought it a shame when a nice collection like this goes to market as it gives others a chance to own them and puts money in the seller's hand.

Ale-8(1)

Staff member
87586 (lot #126) is indeed a 1967 gun, and as such cannot be a Flattop.

They apparently don't know much about Rugers.

Bet Bob is laughing.

:wink:

'ale-8' you got that RIGHT, how well we know........Bob had me go over and look at many of the auction Rugers over the years for him.............we won't even get into "condition descriptions"...... 8)
recall Robb getting an old model 45 convertible from them for under the going price of a regular Blackhawk, new model, ONE cylinder gun.........hhhmmm :?
had my neighbor go over and bid on an old model 30 carbine for me and he got it for HALF the value of the going rate at the time :roll:

Ale-8(1)

Staff member
Lot #150 is wrong, too.

Gun 80000 is a 1966 gun, not 1964, not a flattop!

:x

Jim Puke

Hunter
Ale-8(1) said:
Lot #150 is wrong, too.

Gun 80000 is a 1967 gun, not a flattop!

Why don't you do the family a favor and notify the listing company of all of these errors...may be more helpful than posting it here?

Ale-8(1)

Staff member
I have done so. Also tipped Amanda off as well.

I'm posting it here for the edification of the members. Bob worked hard to collect these old pieces and they should be recognized for what they are. In addition, he started Bob's List in an effort to document as many Old Model .357's as he could because so many were being improperly identified/described.

Edited to add that all the ones I have commented on so far have been corrected . . . if you accept the "Bridgetop" description . :wink: :mrgreen: :wink:

Well, there is a week left of the auction and it looks like the bidder "oldfirefighter" is going to get some good deals. Does the auction house have a good reputation? I personally have never heard about them, but that's just me. Do the auctions typically have more action right up to the last minute?

Danjet500

Buckeye
I follow Scott's auctions all the time. He seems to always get good, clean guns for the most part and if you email him about mistakes, he corrects them. You always get a bunch of tire kickers early in the auction. The serious guys show up in the last few hours and minutes.

Latest posts