S46? 6 1/2" .44 mag Super Blackhawk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ziggs

Bearcat
I just found this forum and an old thread on this topic. I have recently inherited a Super Blackhawk with a 6 1/2" barrel. The gun is in like new condition. I looked closer at the box, with a penciled on correct serial number, and it says it is for a 7 1/2" barrel pistol. What do I have? I have found bits and pieces of information about this gun. One referred to this variation as a S46. What would be "THE" source to check? I have sent to Ruger for a letter. The serial #26048. Thanks for the help.

SATCOM

Blackhawk
ziggs,

Welcome to the RF. I see you have posted your question here and S46 List of Serial Numbers post.

How does your box compare to Flatgate's pictured in other post?
You can see where your serial number fits.
Call Ruger Records as they have as of late looked up serial numbers for call-ins.
Request letter from Ruger, 10 bucks and long wait.

I do not know of any published listing of all S46s produced. I am sure others will be able to add to my response, but the missing inch is worth about $650.

SATCOM

ziggs

Bearcat
Thanks for the reply. The box is the same as Flatgate's. The differences are that my 7 1/2 is not blacked out and my serial# is written in vertically where the white wear line to the left of the .44 is on Flatgate's box. I have sent for the letter, but will try to call Monday. The money is not a big deal since I have been trying to buy the gun from my uncle for 30 some years and only got it after he passed away. Just a bonus to the story I guess. I will have to figure out [ask my kids] how to post a picture sometime.

street

Hunter
Your gun serial number is in the right range but not every Super in that range was shipped with a 6 1/2 in bl. some 7 1/2 in bl. guns were in that range. The only way to tell for sure is with a letter from Ruger.

Ruger1441

Blackhawk
All of the 6 1/2"guns were shipped in 7 1/2"boxes. I have seen ones with a piece of tape over the 7 1/2 and 6 1/2 inch written on the piece of tape. Some with the 7 1/2 blacked out with 6 1/2 written in dark pen like marker. I have one shipper with 6 1/2 stamped on the shipper.

Doc4429

Single-Sixer
Super Blackhawk with 6 1/2-inch barrel and original packaging.

Bill

orig.jpg

ziggs

Bearcat
http://s1026.photobucket.com/user/stevewipper/media/ruger/FullSizeRender%201_zpsmawwlync.jpg.html
http://s1026.photobucket.com/user/stevewipper/media/ruger/image1%2011_zpskonedqx7.jpg.html
I think I added pics of my pistol.

ziggs

Bearcat
Fail on the pics I guess, but the link works. Tried to add pic in the post like Doc4429. Next time I guess.

ziggs

Bearcat
Thanks so much for the help Radicalrod. All in the wrist I guess. Now that the pics are full sized, it looks like I should have wiped off the finger prints. These guns have such a beautiful finish, it's a shame to paw them up.

street

Hunter
ziggs said:
Thanks so much for the help Radicalrod. All in the wrist I guess. Now that the pics are full sized, it looks like I should have wiped off the finger prints. These guns have such a beautiful finish, it's a shame to paw them up.
With the polish on those Old Model Super Blackhawks, it's hard to keep your hands off of them. :lol: I have a 7 1/2 in. gun that I bought new in 1965 and the polish looked so good that I just couldn't put it down once I got my hands on it. :wink:

ziggs

Bearcat
I have been shooting it looking for a good "fun" load. Kind of snappy with full power hunting stuff. Maybe the Redhawk stays the hunting gun?