S&W Model 63-3

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I have a 63-1 myself. And an original Bearcat. I only mention that because I put both those guns in the same category. Small and easy to carry around... and actually quite challenging to shoot well. Your technique of a consistent hold and a straight back trigger squeeze better be picture perfect... or it will shoot a foot to one side. You shoot something like a Ruger MKII target pistol and you start to believe you are really getting good. Then you try the same thing with a early model Bearcat or a S&W M63... and you realize you aren't quite as good as you thought.

Excellent training guns.

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
I'm a little confused at Hawkeye's "strong marketplace"... reference. Does that refer to the OP's place the gun was purchased? Sounds like an awesome deal. I suspect a lot of us would like to know where they are. Especially if accessible online.
Thanks,
KRuger
Simply go to GB and observe asking and sell prices............

I have a 63-1 myself. And an original Bearcat. I only mention that because I put both those guns in the same category. Small and easy to carry around... and actually quite challenging to shoot well. Your technique of a consistent hold and a straight back trigger squeeze better be picture perfect... or it will shoot a foot to one side. You shoot something like a Ruger MKII target pistol and you start to believe you are really getting good. Then you try the same thing with a early model Bearcat or a S&W M63... and you realize you aren't quite as good as you thought.

Excellent training guns.
0313201458.jpg

I agree about being able to shoot with a smaller handgun. A Ruger .22 pistol shoots differently than a small revolver. These both are very handy little revolvers but you have to practice with them to be able hit what you are aiming at. The one on the right is a S&W 317 Airlite Kit Gun that has a Sile Combat Grip. I deleted the keylock and put in a set of Wolfe springs for a better trigger pull and also replaced the green front sight with a red one. With the 317 fully loaded with 8 rounds of .22 Long Rifle it weighs just under 13 ounces and you hardly know you are carrying it.

The New Model Stainless Bearcat needs no introduction and is also a great little carry revolver.

The knives are ESEE CR2.5 Rowen models and weigh very little as well. I am trying to make combination holsters for both the Bearcat and 317 fitted with a sheath for the knife. The 317 is usually very close at hand no matter where I am because it's so light and easy to carry.

bwct

Bearcat
I have carried & shot my S&W 63 more than any other handgun I own. If I wear it out, I have a Model 34 to take its place. Hopefully, my 3 year old granddaughter will one day own both.

The Norseman

Blackhawk
The Smith & Wesson and Ruger do handle
different causing them to get use to the
difference in shooting.

I found that out really fast; going from
my S&W 617s (4" and 6") .22lr's to my
first 1957 Ruger Single Six Flatgate .22lr.

Took me a while to get it used to the
cowboy style grip on the RSS.

Thank you for sharing. The Best to
you and your Endeavors

I've got a 'no dash' 63, received from family years ago. I need to get it back out and have it repaired.

The cylinder feels loose but gap measured in spec and I made other 'checks' years ago I can't remember led by internet guidance and it seemed in spec, however it 'sprays lead' when fired, enough that I don't use it.
Last conclusion I made is the only option is to send it to the mothership to see if they can repair. I'm not really familiar with what 'timing' issues can cause but I think that is likely the problem. It is a fine piece and would love to have it in good working order just need to take the initiative and contact S&W mothership to see if they can accept and take care of it.